• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD Company Director - Furlough Claim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD Company Director - Furlough Claim

Apologies if this question has been posted already, I’ve trawled through a number of threads but cannot seem to find an answer.

I’m a contractor, LTD Company Director (sole employee), and want to furlough the PAYE element of my income from May.

1.Can anyone please advise how do I actually go about putting in a claim for this? Is it via a Gov.co.uk link? Or is there a phone number I can call?

My situation is that my client is not renewing my contract past the end of April 2020 due to financial pressures during this time. I will thus be out in the Market when no one is hiring.

2.Also heard that there is a £1,800 limit on the claim. Is that correct?

Any help appreciated.

Simon

look under section 4 of this thread, a sticky at the top of forum you've just posted in

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...es-thread.html

Just in case you're having difficulty...

• Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
    You may be able to claim the CJRS grant, of 80% of salary up to £2500 per month, if you are operating a PAYE scheme. If you are paying yourself a minimal wage, then the amount you can claim will be very small.
    Claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Comment

"I will thus be out in the Market when no one is hiring."

You can't be just out of the market, you need to agree to make absolutely no efforts to get into the market. You'll be furloughed - off work, end of. No "keeping an eye on the job sites", no "dropping your CV over", no chatting to recruiters.

IMHO, unless you've been taking a high PAYE salary and fancy some genuine time off at this moment then it's not worthwhile as a contractor.

Comment

Details here.

Check if your employer can use the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK

Claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK

The one bit where it is light on content is exactly how you claim, other than "through payroll". So, if you think you're eligible, furlough yourself, don't do *any* work for the company, and ask your accountant/PAYE administrator to pay you 80% of your base salary and also ask them claim it back.

PS. You're question has actually been asked multiple times.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 6 April 2020, 12:50.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          "I will thus be out in the Market when no one is hiring."

You can't be just out of the market, you need to agree to make absolutely no efforts to get into the market. You'll be furloughed - off work, end of. No "keeping an eye on the job sites", no "dropping your CV over", no chatting to recruiters.

IMHO, unless you've been taking a high PAYE salary and fancy some genuine time off at this moment then it's not worthwhile as a contractor.
          This certainly sounds far too technical, unreasonable and impossible to enforce. It would make sense to be furloughed up until the point you start your next gig/perm job. The government doesn't want you sitting on the bench collecting their money when you have the possibility to find something else and stop collecting your unemployed cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by jamed View Post
            This certainly sounds far too technical, unreasonable and impossible to enforce. It would make sense to be furloughed up until the point you start your next gig/perm job. The government doesn't want you sitting on the bench collecting their money when you have the possibility to find something else and stop collecting your unemployed cheque.
            What's too technical or unreasonable? You furlough employees - they sit at home and wait to come back. That's the scheme, that's the intended audience - it's a scheme for employers to be able to send employees home on the basis that they'll be there when you need them to come back to work.

It is not a scheme to cover your bench period. It's like saying a salesman should be out finding leads and get the next big project in while furloughed - that isn't the game.

Comment

Working...
            X