• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furloughed - Company Activity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! So any social media post has to from a person's personal account not a company one and for the avoidance of doubt preceded by "posting on a personal basis not corporate" or words to that effect - already too many characters gone from a tweet!
    Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 8 April 2020, 23:54.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      No - its the employee that is furloughed. The thinking is that so long as the person being furloughed does no work for the company (other than director's statutory duties), the company can continue to pay the furloughed employee their salary (80-100%) and can claim back 80% via a grant at a later date.

But, until someone comes along and shares their experiences (unless I've missed it?), we can't say for sure.

You haven't specifically answered that question yet: can you business continue to run with you doing *no* work for it? If not, you can't furlough yourself unless you give up those responsibilities. Have a read of this: Claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK

I'd be interested in seeing what "proof" needs to be provided (if any) that the employee was furloughed due to Covid-19. In my view, there seems to be a lot of talk that it'll just be an simple application and the grant will be paid, but I'd expect there to be some level of proof required (although the page above really only mentions the chance of a retrospective audit).

We've already seen multiple people who were out of contract prior to March (perhaps due to IR35?) and are hoping to jump on the Covid-19 bandwagon. It seems to me that the grant is for those employees who are out of a job due to Covid, whereas many contractors are hoping it will also apply to those that can't get a contract due to Covid. I'm not convinced it is intended to cover those latter cases.
      Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. I see it quite simple. I'm tempted to lay myself off as an employee of my Ltd because the impact of the Coronavirus on the contracting market and wider economy is such that there is **** all out there and isn't likely to be for the foreseeable. The scheme could stop me doing that. But the issue I see is that if I were to be furloughed, how the hell can I pitch for business? When the lockdown is eased, am I allowed to jump on a train to London for those face-to-face meetings that could lead to coming off the scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. I see it quite simple. I'm tempted to lay myself off as an employee of my Ltd because the impact of the Coronavirus on the contracting market and wider economy is such that there is **** all out there and isn't likely to be for the foreseeable. The scheme could stop me doing that. But the issue I see is that if I were to be furloughed, how the hell can I pitch for business? When the lockdown is eased, am I allowed to jump on a train to London for those face-to-face meetings that could lead to coming off the scheme?
        Someone put it rather nicely. You look for work for yourself. Once you've got it then you decide whether to introduce the company depending on the circumstances. Your next gig might be sole trader or brolly so not company business until contracts drawn up between the business and the hiring body.

I originally thought gig hunting was part of the sales and marketing of your company but looking at it as per the above is totally feasible.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Someone put it rather nicely. You look for work for yourself. Once you've got it then you decide whether to introduce the company depending on the circumstances. Your next gig might be sole trader or brolly so not company business until contracts drawn up between the business and the hiring body.

I originally thought gig hunting was part of the sales and marketing of your company but looking at it as per the above is totally feasible.
          Job / gig / contract hunting is just that, you as an individual hunt for a job / contract and when you get it you then decide how best to operate for that piece of work.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Simple answer: no, that is clearly outside of the remit of the scheme if that business is for your Ltd company. Anything that could drive revenue is work and you cannot do any work when furloughed (#NotFurloughed @NLUK)

More complex answer: The scheme is aimed at stopping people being made redundant, not to protect a company's sales pipeline. It is a Job Retention Scheme, not a Business Protection Scheme. There are loans available for the latter.

But, if you were minded to do so, how would they know if you were on a train...
            Last edited by Paralytic; 7 April 2020, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Job / gig / contract hunting is just that, you as an individual hunt for a job / contract and when you get it you then decide how best to operate for that piece of work.
              Someone should phone HMRC and see whether doing the above is within the spirit of the scheme. However, doing that, and not putting that new work through your business, I can't see how you're doing anything wrong (legally).
              Last edited by Paralytic; 7 April 2020, 14:52.

Comment

Someone should phone HMRC and see whether doing the above is within the spirit of the scheme. However, doing that, and not putting that new work through your business, I can't see how you're doing anything wrong (legally).
                It is because the first time you will know if the contract can possibly be put through the business is when the agency phones up, offers congratulations on getting the contract and asks what version of their contract do you want.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It is because the first time you will know if the contract can possibly be put through the business is when the agency phones up, offers congratulations on getting the contract and asks what version of their contract do you want.
                  Yup. Some people even put outside gigs through umbrella so it's not a given that the LTD is involved even if it is advertised an outside gig. Seems pretty solid argument to me.

Comment

Yup. Some people even put outside gigs through umbrella so it's not a given that the LTD is involved even if it is advertised an outside gig. Seems pretty solid argument to me.
                    You both think doing that is in the spirit of the scheme? Furloughing yourself, getting 80% of your Ltd company salary from the government, and then taking on another gig via another vehicle?

Really?

Why not go one step further and create another Ltd company any put the new work through that (assuming the engagement allows PSC's) and bask in loverly those dividends.

Comment

You both think doing that is in the spirit of the scheme? Furloughing yourself, getting 80% of your Ltd company salary from the government, and then taking on another gig via another vehicle?

Really?

Why not go one step further and create another Ltd company any put the new work through that (assuming the engagement allows PSC's) and bask in loverly those dividends.
                      What are you on about you pillock. We are talking about looking for work. Is that a company activity breaking furlough or personal. It can be argued its personal.

We aren't talking about doing the gig. Once you've found work you come off furlough.

Comment

Working...
                      X