• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming expenses from clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    From a personal perspective, you could claim the 13 miles. From a business perspective, your business could charge whatever you have agreed with the client.

Why not charge your client what you are entitled to charge them? The only reason I don't charge my client the mileage expenses is because I don't know what their rates are and can't be bothered to find out - if someone had said "it's 10p a mile" or whatever, then I'd be putting that on my invoice with the rest of the expenses.
    Even in this case? Seems a bit of a piss take to be honest. Claiming 13 miles each way when it'd be 10 anyway.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Yeh well fair enough - whereever I go I claim my mileage - goes without saying.

I just thought claiming 13miles when I'd drive 10 anyway in the other direction was taking the piss a bit.
      Why would you only charge the client for the journey in one direction? If it's 13 miles from home, then that would be 26 miles each day.

If you charged the client 50p per mile, then 26 miles per day at that rate, plus VAT would add an extra £78 a week to your invoices.

Which is more than signing on nets you, so why not charge it?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yeh well fair enough - whereever I go I claim my mileage - goes without saying.

I just thought claiming 13miles when I'd drive 10 anyway in the other direction was taking the piss a bit.
        Taking the piss ?

I think you mean dishonest

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          Taking the piss ?

I think you mean dishonest
          Not at all. I suggest you read this thread more carefully.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Because one of them will be you?

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I claimed mileage expenses, but I recall the rule in use was that you were allowed (by the Inland Revenue) to claim the lessor of the journey from home to B and from A to B. So that's 13 miles.

Don't bother claiming from the client, but do claim it from your company - if you're obsessive enough to claw back every possible penny of tax.
            +1 Deffo claim it from your Ltd regardless.

Comment

Can imagine how it looks to client when they see a contractor sticking in expense claims for 40 x £0.45 = £9 when they find out its just 3 miles further for them. Look like a penny pincher....
              Not to mention looking like someone who can't do simple maths!

Comment

Tell you what - since everyone is so concerned about my JSA claiming I'll change my sig so everyone knows whether I'm in a gig or screwing the state. OK?

I seriously do not understand why everyone gets so wound about it. If you're bothered, take a few hours off and wander down to your nearest jobcentre and have a shout at some of the losers hanging around outside smoking and drinking cider.....
                Why bother, when we can do the same from the comfort of our own home offices?
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
                  Not to mention looking like someone who can't do simple maths!
                  He's practising for the ATOS Capability for Work test.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                  X