• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

same role different agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texto View Post
    Interestingly, the detailed job description sent to me by the agent during my initial interaction had the email address of the client. Can I not just ping the client directly to see if they are interested?
    Just stalk the client company's internal HR recruiters on LinkedIn.
    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
      That's useful to know.

More than one pimp has told me that clients get ticked off with seeing multiple applications from different agencies (but then they would say that, wouldn't they?).

Also, one or two have asked me to state that I'm happy for them to have sole representation for my application for the role. Is that worth anything legally?
      I have seen this first hand as I work with agencies to provide payroll solutions. Clients often reject CVs if they have been submitted twice by different agencies. They dont want to enter the argument of representation.
      This is why agents ask to represent you solely and ask for your agreement.

Also why they ask where else has your cv been sent, this often seems like fishing for information and then they dont tell you the clients name as its confidential at this stage. But they are trying to ensure your cv has not been submitted without exposing their client.

What you have to remember is some agents dont qualify candidates and just submit the CV without the consultants knowledge.

I would apply for the position via the other agency and tell them you spoke with another agent about the role but you dont know if your application has been submitted.

Comment

Well I spoke to the first agency who were very enthusiastic but after our rate discussion, things went cold. I applied to the other agency - they did not even bother responding.

Since I had the direct email of the client when the first agency sent me the job desc, I took the advice given here by fellow contractors and applied directly. I, at least, have an acknowledgement. Lets see what happens.

Comment

Well I spoke to the first agency who were very enthusiastic but after our rate discussion, things went cold. I applied to the other agency - they did not even bother responding.

Since I had the direct email of the client when the first agency sent me the job desc, I took the advice given here by fellow contractors and applied directly. I, at least, have an acknowledgement. Lets see what happens.
          Well done - at least you know your details are in front of the client now. And hopefully if you can go direct you could stand a better chance than agency contractors because the client will save on the fee - which hopefully you can get a share of if you negotiate well.

Comment

Four days later the first agency calls me today checking my availability blah blah - I said I'm busy at the moment and will call later.

Now my CV is in front of the client since I applied direct after the agency did not take my calls. What should I do?

1. Not return the calls from agency
            2. Call the agency and tell them I applied direct.
            3. Call the agency and say I'm not interested.

I'm wondering if the client could've have asked the agency about the CV that I sent. Is this possible? I don;t think so as the agent guy did mention forwarding my cv at which point I said I was busy.

Comment

Oh dear... I smell a tulipstorm brewing.....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Four days later the first agency calls me today checking my availability blah blah - I said I'm busy at the moment and will call later.

Now my CV is in front of the client since I applied direct after the agency did not take my calls. What should I do?

1. Not return the calls from agency
                2. Call the agency and tell them I applied direct.
                3. Call the agency and say I'm not interested.

I'm wondering if the client could've have asked the agency about the CV that I sent. Is this possible? I don;t think so as the agent guy did mention forwarding my cv at which point I said I was busy.
                Option 1 as that is exactly what the pimp would do if you weren't of interest anymore for him

Comment

You have to remember the client will have one or two agencies they repeatedly use even if there isn't a formal agreement they would be reluctant to end up in a conflict.

No harm in trying to go direct as there would be no conflict with the agency, as the client can decide if they point you back to the agency or take you on directly.

If the agency has got back to you then probably they have been contacted by the client, i.e. the client got your CV then got back to the agency.

If you haven't heard from the client you might as well go through the agency.

Although it isn't impossible to go direct most big clients such as banks usually expect you to go through an agency anyway.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 May 2014, 13:39.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

So you're saying I should ring the agency? It kind of makes sense as client could've got back to them asking about a CV they've received. Not sure how this works between client and agencies. Should I tell them I've applied direct since I never heard from them?

I applied direct yesterday and received an acknowledgement that it has been forwarded to that department.
                    Last edited by texto; 1 May 2014, 16:24.

Comment

Working...
                    X