• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a permanent job, safely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abster View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Leave.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I've been in similar positions. Caught up in politics. Never get assigned any decent work but when you say "ok guys, I get the picture, thanks but bye" you're suddenly public enemy no 1.

That can be resigning from a permie job or even just not accepting a renewal.

If possible try and get someone who will act as a reference. It can be a co-worker, preferably someone in an important position but even if it's just a friendly co-worker who has been there longer that can be fine.

Then onwards and upwards. They're all stuck there backstabbing, blaming and brown nosing each other while you're roaring off in to the distance on the next project.

Comment

If you really think they will be "out to get you" see if you can agree to a shorter notice period (when I left permiedom I was able to negotiate from 12 to 5 weeks) and perhaps get in there first with the leaving email. Most decent firms only let HR handle the reference and even then they only ask dates worked, title and some question about your character. they might ask salary too.

Comment

it appears the company would view seriously if I make the attempt to leave. Two more guys at my level, left with lot of issues with some within the company trying to tarnish the image of the candidates.
          Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you are stuck there permanently and you can never leave. Bad luck.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Sounds like they'll put you on gardening leave - think of it as two month's paid leave before you go contracting. If you obtain evidence of you being bad-mouthed, a solicitors letter re: defamation of character should do the trick.

Once you've been on gardening leave for one month, unless there is a handcuff clause in you employment contract, it would be extremely difficult for your employer to prevent you taking up a contract. The most they could do would be to stop paying you and it might mess up your reference - on the other hand, the one time I left a company (as a permie) under acrimonious conditions, I simply told anyone asking for a reference that I wouldn't be getting one from them, as we weren't on speaking terms. It wasn't a problem.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The problem is - during the notice period, they assign absolutely no work.
              So use that time to get up to speed with things that you'll need to know when contracting. Steal some stationery while you're in the office. Use your time to learn new skills that you might need in the future.

Enjoy the chance to earn without having to do any work. Get used to it
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tell them you are leaving the country at the end of the week, and there's no way you can continue working for them.

Get a flight out to Dublin on Friday night, have a jolly time in Temple Bar, then fly back on Sunday.
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Get a contract, leave everything behind on the last Friday, including pass, laptop etc , start new job on the Monday, see how long it takes for them to get hold of you, ignore calls etc, when they do speak to you, just say you have left and wont be back.
                  No idea if this is legal but companies who treat people like this deserve no respect.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Get a contract, leave everything behind on the last Friday, including pass, laptop etc , start new job on the Monday, see how long it takes for them to get hold of you, ignore calls etc, when they do speak to you, just say you have left and wont be back.
                    No idea if this is legal but companies who treat people like this deserve no respect.
                    In theory they could go legal, better to just resign and work your notice period if they make you, otherwise if they let you go early they will have to pay you in lieu. Last time I checked slavery was illegal in the UK so they can't make you stay

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                      Threaten to put in a constructive dismissal complaint. Get your 10 grand compromise agreement and go contracting.

Comment

Working...
                      X