• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving a permanent job, safely"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Smile sweetly and work your notice.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Get a contract, leave everything behind on the last Friday, including pass, laptop etc , start new job on the Monday, see how long it takes for them to get hold of you, ignore calls etc, when they do speak to you, just say you have left and wont be back.
    No idea if this is legal but companies who treat people like this deserve no respect.
    Threaten to put in a constructive dismissal complaint. Get your 10 grand compromise agreement and go contracting.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Get a contract, leave everything behind on the last Friday, including pass, laptop etc , start new job on the Monday, see how long it takes for them to get hold of you, ignore calls etc, when they do speak to you, just say you have left and wont be back.
    No idea if this is legal but companies who treat people like this deserve no respect.
    In theory they could go legal, better to just resign and work your notice period if they make you, otherwise if they let you go early they will have to pay you in lieu. Last time I checked slavery was illegal in the UK so they can't make you stay

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Tell them you are leaving the country at the end of the week, and there's no way you can continue working for them.

Get a flight out to Dublin on Friday night, have a jolly time in Temple Bar, then fly back on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Abster View Post
    The problem is - during the notice period, they assign absolutely no work.
    So use that time to get up to speed with things that you'll need to know when contracting. Steal some stationery while you're in the office. Use your time to learn new skills that you might need in the future.

Enjoy the chance to earn without having to do any work. Get used to it

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Sounds like they'll put you on gardening leave - think of it as two month's paid leave before you go contracting. If you obtain evidence of you being bad-mouthed, a solicitors letter re: defamation of character should do the trick.

Once you've been on gardening leave for one month, unless there is a handcuff clause in you employment contract, it would be extremely difficult for your employer to prevent you taking up a contract. The most they could do would be to stop paying you and it might mess up your reference - on the other hand, the one time I left a company (as a permie) under acrimonious conditions, I simply told anyone asking for a reference that I wouldn't be getting one from them, as we weren't on speaking terms. It wasn't a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    it appears the company would view seriously if I make the attempt to leave. Two more guys at my level, left with lot of issues with some within the company trying to tarnish the image of the candidates.
    Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you are stuck there permanently and you can never leave. Bad luck.

Leave a comment:

• arrumac
    replied
    If you really think they will be "out to get you" see if you can agree to a shorter notice period (when I left permiedom I was able to negotiate from 12 to 5 weeks) and perhaps get in there first with the leaving email. Most decent firms only let HR handle the reference and even then they only ask dates worked, title and some question about your character. they might ask salary too.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I've been in similar positions. Caught up in politics. Never get assigned any decent work but when you say "ok guys, I get the picture, thanks but bye" you're suddenly public enemy no 1.

That can be resigning from a permie job or even just not accepting a renewal.

If possible try and get someone who will act as a reference. It can be a co-worker, preferably someone in an important position but even if it's just a friendly co-worker who has been there longer that can be fine.

Then onwards and upwards. They're all stuck there backstabbing, blaming and brown nosing each other while you're roaring off in to the distance on the next project.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Any suggestions?
    Leave.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Ignore it, hand in your notice and "be professional", if you have a new job or contract your reputation will be in tact.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If they treat everyone like that then your reputation isn't damaged. In fact by leaving asap you have enhanced your reputation as some of the other candidates who left before will know that you are better at what you do.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Potter
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Sounds like a consultancy.
    Sounds like a permanent job interview, as in a job interview which goes on forever

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    I have always been contracting, but caught in a permanent job for the last one year.

I would like to leave the company safely, without allowing them to damage my reputation.
    You almost certainly don't have a reputation worth damaging. Seriously. What are they going to do? Bad mouth you to your next employer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X