• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelled assignment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magpie2121 View Post
    SJD accountancy have told me there is no minimum contract term with them so I can potentially leave after a few months If I want to.
    Of course you can, but you'll still have to sort out your final accounts. If you're with SJD (or any other accountant) for a couple of months, they're not going to throw that in for free. Make sure you understand the costs before going down that road - it's not like an umbrella; you're a company director and you have to close that company properly with all the paperwork that involves.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Of course you can, but you'll still have to sort out your final accounts. If you're with SJD (or any other accountant) for a couple of months, they're not going to throw that in for free. Make sure you understand the costs before going down that road - it's not like an umbrella; you're a company director and you have to close that company properly with all the paperwork that involves.
      +1, Forget the Ltd for now, get yourself a decent 3 month full time contract and some money in the warchest first, stick with the Umbrella, what is it that you do exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        What you may want to do is to give your wife a 50% stake in the company, you would then make her a director in your company.

You need to do this when you form the company, not later otherwise HMRC will treat this as a gift. Any dividends paid would then be distributed to both you and your wife on an equal basis.
        Why would you make her a director?

Would HMRC necessarily treat it as a gift?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

He thinks director = shareholder.

Magpie2121 talk to your accountant about giving your wife shares and the pitfalls of making her any officer position in your company.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You wouldn't. My wife is a director without being a shareholder, though

No
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              He thinks director = shareholder.

Magpie2121 talk to your accountant about giving your wife shares and the pitfalls of making her any officer position in your company.
              With that level of understand I would say don't. It's not something you want to get in to if you don't have a clue. You give introduce her to the business and do it properly, not defacto standard just to gain a tax advantage. It's not a standard part of business set up as some people seem to think.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X