• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelled assignment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magpie2121 View Post
    I just do work for the agency called Hays. They'll contact me if there is an assignment available.

Does this mean I'm an agency temp or a contractor?
    If its Hays they don't care, don't understand or whatever and just think you're their bitch. And you should be grateful to them apparently.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      If its Hays they don't care, don't understand or whatever and just think you're their bitch. And you should be grateful to them apparently.
      What a load of utter crap.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just do work for the agency called Hays. They'll contact me if there is an assignment available.

Does this mean I'm an agency temp or a contractor?
        Do you get paid while there is no work on?
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          It depends what you signed. By the sounds of it they are sending you short contracts, so you are a contractor. If so, my strong advice is to log onto jobserve and carpet bomb your CV to as many agencies as possible.

There is a recruiter directory under tools, you can just blind send out your CV, stating a list of locations and rate range. Also setup a monster profile and upload your CV for searching. With Jobserve you can upload your CV.

At the very least it will get you into the key search DB at most agencies.

(kojack - is that nice enough )
          Thank you. This is very helpful

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Do you get paid while there is no work on?
          I don't get paid when no work is available

Comment

I've been in touch with SJD Accountancy and explained my current situation to them.

They have agreed to provide a bespoke service for £50 + VAT per month. Below is the email confirmation after a lengthy phone discussion:

Thank you for your time earlier. I have detailed below our fees and service.

As you would imagine being director of your own Limited company, you will be required to make submissions throughout the year to HM Revenue & Customs and Companies House, however your accountant will guide you at every stage and will also be on hand to answer any questions you may have.

Our complete business package covers all your company needs and personal tax affairs for a fixed monthly fee of just £50 plus VAT on the basis that your yearly turnover is around £5,000 per year, this includes:

- Year-end accounts
            - Corporation tax
            - Payroll bureau
            - Dividend administration
            - Dealing with Inland Revenue and Companies House
            - Completion of Annual Return
            - Personal Taxation
            - Unlimited direct access to your accountant for all help and advice
            - Free bookkeeping software, the spreadsheet I mentioned

I would also include the set-up of the PAYE scheme within the fee. Where your turnover for a year is exceeding £10,000, the fees will be reviewed. I would also review the fee if you decide to become VAT registered at any point.

You will need to set up an Ltd company and then pass these details to me once formed. A limited company bank account would also need to be formed. If you want to use Cater Allen please let me know and I can get the documents to you.

VAT Registration Benefits:

Being VAT registered means that you can reclaim the tax you have been charged when buying goods for your company. There are some goods and expenses which do not incur VAT – for example insurance, finance, credit, education, training and fund raising events – but on the majority of other goods and services you will be charged VAT. If this VAT scheme isn’t the most advantageous for you, we would look at other schemes such as the flat rate scheme.

Being VAT registered adds more credibility to your business, making it appear larger than it is, as well as creating a more professional image.

Some companies only deal with VAT registered suppliers, so this will give you more opportunities to deal with more suppliers.

When you are ready to engage Easy Accountancy as your tax and accounting advisors please provide me with the Limited company details and address for correspondence.

Is the above a decent deal bearing in mind I'm currently paying my current umbrella company £30 to process each payslip? Is there anything else I need to consider from the above email? Should I opt for the VAT registration? SHOULD I NOW FORM A LIMITED COMPANY??

Thanks again

Comment

Also, I have a wife that works part time and a 2 year old daughter that goes to a private nursery part time. Can I make my wife an employee of the limited company if I decide to set one up? If so, what would be the advantages of doing this? Sorry I have so many questions at present and am still learning. Obviously I want to extract the very most I can from my assignments (even though I currently don't get a lot of work at all) as we have a mortgage to pay as well as all bills, council tax etc etc. We are finding it hard to make ends meet.
              Last edited by Magpie2121; 26 March 2014, 17:18.

Comment

You cannot artificially make her an employee of the company if she isn't actually doing genuine work through/for it, just so you can pay her tax free, if that's what you mean.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You cannot artificially make her an employee of the company if she isn't actually doing genuine work through/for it, just so you can pay her tax free, if that's what you mean.
                  I've just been reading on the forum aboutr people making their wives an employee of the company. I have no idea what it means or entails. Regardless, I wouldn't have any means of paying her with the amount of work I'm getting. I just want to know why people are making their wives / partners etc employees of their company.

Let me make it easier for you to understand my issue by asking: What would you do if you were in my position besides the obvious of looking for a permanent job which I have been. I've had a taste of contracting work I like it as opposed to a permanent job.

Comment

I've just been reading on the forum aboutr people making their wives an employee of the company. I have no idea what it means or entails. Regardless, I wouldn't have any means of paying her with the amount of work I'm getting. I just want to know why people are making their wives / partners etc employees of their company.

Let me make it easier for you to understand my issue by asking: What would you do if you were in my position besides the obvious of looking for a permanent job which I have been. I've had a taste of contracting work I like it as opposed to a permanent job.
                    The majority are doing it as a tax swindle. Paying their wives 8k a year for 'Admin duties' which on the whole is just utter bollocks but they either don't understand this or are happy to take the risk. Only efficient if she isn't working as well. It just means they can get another 8k out of the company and pay less tax on it. IMO only make your wife an employee if she is going to work for the company. Don't use her as a tax mule.

You need to understand the basics of running a company before getting giddy and starting down potentially risk paths.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OK, that's fine. Please can somebody just explain whether or not the deal offered by SJD Accountancy is any good or of benefit to me? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X