• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does control influence whether an engagement is one of for service or of service ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Old Greg is right and whilst we are getting back on the topic of the thread, it's title seems to imply and actually STATES (and this is where we all came in) that if you cede control within the EAA and Conduct Regs context, that equates to a master/servant relationship in the context of IR35.

To which you say "I say it does, and by making a declaration of opting into the "Conduct Regs" you are as a consequence declaring that you have handed over predominant control of yourself and your PSC to your hirer."

Many of us disagree and you have spectacularly failed to persuade otherwise. Just because you have a criminal judgement in your favour over one part of two distinct regulations that are notoriously difficult to interpret and where the judiciary, civil or criminal regularly fail to agree and which is desperately short of case law, you think and offer it as a fait accompli because it suits your own perspective.

It is not. I see it as just another piece of FUD that agents will use to elbow contractors into opting out when they do not wish to.

And once again, there is no legal definition of a PSC. Lastly, predominant control, which seems to be a term coined by the judge in this case to clarify the meaning of 'control' is entirely different to 'Direction and control' within the meaning of IR35.
    Exactamundo.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      Old Greg is right and whilst we are getting back on the topic of the thread, it's title seems to imply and actually STATES (and this is where we all came in) that if you cede control within the EAA and Conduct Regs context, that equates to a master/servant relationship in the context of IR35.

To which you say "I say it does, and by making a declaration of opting into the "Conduct Regs" you are as a consequence declaring that you have handed over predominant control of yourself and your PSC to your hirer."

Many of us disagree and you have spectacularly failed to persuade otherwise. Just because you have a criminal judgement in your favour over one part of two distinct regulations that are notoriously difficult to interpret and where the judiciary, civil or criminal regularly fail to agree and which is desperately short of case law, you think and offer it as a fait accompli because it suits your own perspective.

It is not. I see it as just another piece of FUD that agents will use to elbow contractors into opting out when they do not wish to.

And once again, there is no legal definition of a PSC. Lastly, predominant control, which seems to be a term coined by the judge in this case to clarify the meaning of 'control' is entirely different to 'Direction and control' within the meaning of IR35.
      Okay, no problem, we will agree to disagree. My goal was to bring the issue to your attention and then to walk through the reasoning behind the judgements.

Whether you wish to agree or disagree with that reasoning, is completely your choice and one that I respect your right to make.

There will be many further readers of this thread who can make their own decisions, one way or another.

I feel I have achieved the purpose of bringing this issue to your attention.

My job is done here.

Best of luck with your future. I have enjoyed sparring with you.

Adios

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Dwyer View Post
        Okay, no problem, we will agree to disagree. My goal was to bring the issue to your attention and then to walk through the reasoning behind the judgements.

Whether you wish to agree or disagree with that reasoning, is completely your choice and one that I respect your right to make.

There will be many further readers of this thread who can make their own decisions, one way or another.

I feel I have achieved the purpose of bringing this issue to your attention.

My job is done here.

Best of luck with your future. I have enjoyed sparring with you.

Adios
        Good move.

Comment

Adios
          This makes me glum
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The answer is clearly 42.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a written copy of the judgement but no link
              Would you let me see it? [email protected]
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                I think you've got yourself a new signature, Lisa.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Of course - photo sent.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I think you've got yourself a new signature, Lisa.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Of course - photo sent.
                      And you

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...