• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this perfectly legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw I did call up the agent to give him my notice (conversation recorded) and my new agent did suggest I email them, which I also did.

I am having a meeting with my manager next week.. Let's see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by olisun View Post
      Btw I did call up the agent to give him my notice (conversation recorded) and my new agent did suggest I email them, which I also did.

I am having a meeting with my manager next week.. Let's see what happens.
      I wouldn't let it drag on - the more you do that, the closer you'll get to the 4th of April and then the client will say "it's only a couple of extra days..."

If you have evidence of when you gave notice, then that's what you need - a month after that date is when the contract ends. Make sure that everyone is aware of this - if you gave notice to the agency and they didn't pass that onto the client, then that's something that the client needs to take up with the agency.

If you leave early, then make sure you get everything you need sorted before you go - the last thing you need after you leave would be to find that you don't have a signed timesheet, for example, and therefore your last invoice isn't going to be paid. I'd also start reading the late payment rules, as it wouldn't be unheard of for an agency to delay your last payment out of spite.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I asked my manager once again to confirm the end date and he has come back saying he cannot confirm the end date as he still has work to do.

I asked him what work is outstanding as I need to check if this was been agreed upon and if it is part of the job description and if I was expected to carry out those tasks.

I find it very childish and unprofessional.

I may have to speak to my new agent now.

Comment

I asked my manager once again to confirm the end date and he has come back saying he cannot confirm the end date as he still has work to do.

I asked him what work is outstanding as I need to check if this was been agreed upon and if it is part of the job description and if I was expected to carry out those tasks.

I find it very childish and unprofessional.

I may have to speak to my new agent now.
          He is the client manager, not YOUR manager and you should be speaking to the agent only really, just advising the client manager as a courtesy. The contract is between you and the agent. You have no contractual obligation to the client. If the manager doesn't like it he will have to go speak to the agent, not you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            He is the client manager, not YOUR manager and you should be speaking to the agent only really, just advising the client manager as a courtesy. The contract is between you and the agent. You have no contractual obligation to the client. If the manager doesn't like it he will have to go speak to the agent, not you.
            I just spoke to my agent now and I told him I had spoken to the account manager at the agency and told him my intentions and did follow up in an email.

The only mistake I did was I started the email with "As per our telephonic conversation..." ... Now the agency says I didn't explicitly mention that I am giving a one month notice.

He also said he will release me on that date agreed by the client and my client is dragging his heels telling me he has work planned for me. I still haven't got any details what work has been planned for me for the next 2-3 weeks.

Can I refuse work that was not agreed upon and not detailed in the job description quoting IR35?

Comment

I just spoke to my agent now and I told him I had spoken to the account manager at the agency and told him my intentions and did follow up in an email.

The only mistake I did was I started the email with "As per our telephonic conversation..." ... Now the agency says I didn't explicitly mention that I am giving a one month notice.

He also said he will release me on that date agreed by the client and my client is dragging his heels telling me he has work planned for me. I still haven't got any details what work has been planned for me for the next 2-3 weeks.

Can I refuse work that was not agreed upon and not detailed in the job description quoting IR35?
              All this stress - for what?

You say in your own post that you are being unprofessional, and frankly it looks like you are. Stand up and be a reliable, professional consultant: work your contract to 4th April and tell your new client that you will start there on 7th April.

Comment

No. IR35 is a tax issue, not a work excuse.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  All this stress - for what?

You say in your own post that you are being unprofessional, and frankly it looks like you are. Stand up and be a reliable, professional consultant: work your contract to 4th April and tell your new client that you will start there on 7th April.
                  huh?

I already gave a 4 week notice and asked the client for a end date and he has been dragging it on for 2 weeks now and kept me in the dark.

If the client had said right from day one "nah, you have to do the final week also" I would have gone back to to the new agent and told him I can only start after the 4th.

Not being straight about it right from the front has also put me in a difficult situation.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    NLUKs right. To be honest, if you gave the correct notice to the agency then its not really your problem any more. Client can moan all they like if agency didnt tell them.

To be fair, it sounds like agency thought they could blag it and talk you round into not leaving early and never even spoke to client.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I already gave a 4 week notice and asked the client for a end date and he has been dragging it on for 2 weeks now and kept me in the dark.
                      If you gave your notice, then you should be able to determine your last date on the contract - it's four weeks from whenever you gave notice. There is no discussion to be had. There is nothing for the client to tell you. Your last day is four weeks from when you gave notice, which is what the contract says.

They don't need to drag their feet, you just need to tell the agency that you are leaving on the date that is correct.

Not being straight about it right from the front has also put me in a difficult situation.
                      It's not a difficult situation, but if you cannot understand that you have a contractual relationship with the agency and not the client, then I dread to think what else is going to go wrong.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X