• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-programming contracting - who would [generally] own scripts and tools I write?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main thing is don't either bring something from home and load it on to the system or vice versa without permission.

Companies have security policies and it doesn't matter if it is well meaning, the guy in the Security dept doesn't care, a breach is a breach.

I would strongly advise doing no development at home, just do it all at work and "remember it".

They will automatically take legal action if they spot a breach, and it isn't very nice when they do.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The main thing is don't either bring something from home and load it on to the system or vice versa without permission.

Companies have security policies and it doesn't matter if it is well meaning, the guy in the Security dept doesn't care, a breach is a breach.

I would strongly advise doing no development at home, just do it all at work and "remember it".

They will automatically take legal action if they spot a breach, and it isn't very nice when they do.
      I think you may be over estimating the kind of stuff I do - think Powershell scripts, batch files to automate hundreds of registry tweaks and things like that. I already have a collection of handy ways to get myself (and others) out of trouble, and to me, it's part of what would be expected of a deployment engineer.

It's a fair point regarding permission, though - I guess it's very case-by-case basis in regards to how they expect me to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Some clients provide laptops and VPNs specifically for that purpose.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
        X