• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Probably basic question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably basic question

Hi Chaps,

If you were offered a 4 day week at around £160 per day and you being self employed contractor
    vs
    The same 4 day week at the same rate of £160 per day but as staff.

Aside from the advantages of contracting etc I am trying to get my head around what the advantage or disadvantage of being staff are.
    Does that make sense?

Obviously it comes down to personal circumstances in terms of rate of tax but just wanted to get others views.
    It may sound a little stupid but hoping someone can help.

You could have put a bit more effort in to this, maybe explaining what you have considered so far, reasons for asking and so on so we can help. All you are asking here is for someone to do all the work for you.

What are you looking to get from your question? Decision whether to go permie or stay contracting? A gig you have lined up and they have offered you staff or contract? The latter has a whole array of different issues to discuss.

A bit more effort in your context and question might actually get you some useful answers.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Contracting normally offers a fair bit more money than being permanent staff...

If someone offered me a contract that offered the same pay as a permie for the same job then I doubt I would be very interested.

Comment

At that rate you better of doing it as a permie and getting the relevant benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by SuPaStA View Post
          At that rate you better of doing it as a permie and getting the relevant benefits.
          +1
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

If I was being offered a day rate of only £160, I'd wonder what they hell I was doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              If I was being offered a day rate of only £160, I'd wonder what they hell I was doing wrong.
              Considering we don't know his skill set that could be a good rate... But given those rates take the permie offer...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Landy View Post
                Hi Chaps,

If you were offered a 4 day week at around £160 per day and you being self employed contractor
                vs
                The same 4 day week at the same rate of £160 per day but as staff.

Aside from the advantages of contracting etc I am trying to get my head around what the advantage or disadvantage of being staff are.
                Does that make sense?

Obviously it comes down to personal circumstances in terms of rate of tax but just wanted to get others views.
                It may sound a little stupid but hoping someone can help.
                Take the permie job. This is a no-brainer if these figures are right. But do check that these figures are right, and that you haven't just misunderstood someone saying "But you'll be no better off as a permie" or something.

Comment

Working...
                X