• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sponser Will Not Transfer SC Clearance, Please Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sponser Will Not Transfer SC Clearance, Please Help

Hi

Hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on transferring my clearance. Briefly I took a permanent position with a List x company who put me through SC however the role they initially promised me didn’t materialise and I ended up stuck in a position I hated, so after 3 months of being unable to resolve the situation I have handed my notice in.
    My plan is to go back to contracting and as I now have sc I thought this would open up a few doors, however the company are not happy I’m leaving and have made it plain that they believe the sc is their property and won’t be transferring it anytime soon. I’m pretty sure from the research I’ve done this is not the case but I can’t seem to find anything official online that backs my view up, so although I have seen a number of jobs I would like to apply for I’ve had to hold off until I can get some clarification on this. I did try calling the DBS NSV but didn’t get much joy out of the person on the other end of the line, can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Originally posted by Bubba1 View Post
    Hi

Hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on transferring my clearance. Briefly I took a permanent position with a List x company who put me through SC however the role they initially promised me didn’t materialise and I ended up stuck in a position I hated, so after 3 months of being unable to resolve the situation I have handed my notice in.
    My plan is to go back to contracting and as I now have sc I thought this would open up a few doors, however the company are not happy I’m leaving and have made it plain that they believe the sc is their property and won’t be transferring it anytime soon. I’m pretty sure from the research I’ve done this is not the case but I can’t seem to find anything official online that backs my view up, so although I have seen a number of jobs I would like to apply for I’ve had to hold off until I can get some clarification on this. I did try calling the DBS NSV but didn’t get much joy out of the person on the other end of the line, can anyone please point me in the right direction.
    You need to force the issue. Apply for a job, tell them you have SC as that is true and make sure you give them the security controllers formal address, tel no. and email. If you get an offer then the agency/client will request the transfer, it will go through, they can't refuse. They're just pissed at you. Bear in mind that it lasts a year from the last list X employment. If you're now in a non SC role and then they might have removed from their list X people so you have a year to get something else.

HTH.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

What Gibbon has said is the correct advice. Also you can lodge a complaint against the sponsor via the vetting agency if they refuse to transfer the SC clearance.

Comment

But there is another scenario. The clearance goes with the role, not the person. So if you never had a role needing SC, then you haven't got SC and there's nothing to transfer.

Equally, you don't actually have SC now, you were cleared to have a role requiring SC but that does not mean you still hold it (if you ever did). And many security teams don't trust List X company clearance anyway, you would have to go through the loop again. That takes about 3 weeks if everyone gets the paperwork done on time.

Perhaps learn how it works, then complain.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          But there is another scenario. The clearance goes with the role, not the person. So if you never had a role needing SC, then you haven't got SC and there's nothing to transfer.

Equally, you don't actually have SC now, you were cleared to have a role requiring SC but that does not mean you still hold it (if you ever did). And many security teams don't trust List X company clearance anyway, you would have to go through the loop again. That takes about 3 weeks if everyone gets the paperwork done on time.

Perhaps learn how it works, then complain.
          He has SC, if he got vetted and confirmation that he was cleared and its sitting with a security office then I can't see how he can't have clearance.

I have had my SC transferred between multiple government agencies and the only one that has issues and will want to re-vet you is Home-Office.

Comment

Originally posted by SuPaStA View Post
            He has SC, if he got vetted and confirmation that he was cleared and its sitting with a security office then I can't see how he can't have clearance.

I have had my SC transferred between multiple government agencies and the only one that has issues and will want to re-vet you is Home-Office.
            I've had SC a number of times, and each time they have done the vetting themselves because they wouldn't trust who did it before.

A friend of mine was moving from Home Office to Ministry of Justice (in the same building!) and had to do it again for MoJ. The MoJ security officer described the Home Office security team as "a broken department" because of their ineptitude.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
              I've had SC a number of times, and each time they have done the vetting themselves because they wouldn't trust who did it before.

A friend of mine was moving from Home Office to Ministry of Justice (in the same building!) and had to do it again for MoJ. The MoJ security officer described the Home Office security team as "a broken department" because of their ineptitude.
              With Atos?

Yes like I said Home-Office don't trust any of the other vetting agencies. Other than that I have only had to go through the clearance once in all my years having the SC and that was due to nearing its expiry date.

Comment

With Atos?
                Nope - direct. And it wasn't the HO that wouldn't take other people - no-one that I've worked with trusted the HO to do it right.
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  Nope - direct. And it wasn't the HO that wouldn't take other people - no-one that I've worked with trusted the HO to do it right.
                  Unrelated - Are you finding the SC market a bit slow at the moment? Rates seem to be down from previous years.

Comment

Unrelated - Are you finding the SC market a bit slow at the moment? Rates seem to be down from previous years.
                    I've been with this contract for nearly 18 months now, and it's been nearly three years since I left my last SC role, so can't comment.

Maybe recruiters are wising up to the fact that SC is no longer the closed shop that it used to be - if you can get SC done in a couple of weeks, then that opens up the market to a lot more competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X