• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java vs .Net contracts - much more .net up north?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java vs .Net contracts - much more .net up north?

Hi all,

So I think I'll be making a move into contracting soon. I have 4 years experience so far 2 yrs has been java/open source world and 2 years has been MS world i.e. .net, SQL, SSIS in finance, so I think (with a few certifications) I can take on either role.

I've been doing research on what opportunities could be out there for me, I'm currently in London but would like to eventually move up north. Contracts in london appear to not be an issue either Java or .Net; a quick search shows more Java than .Net. In the North West however I'm seeing far more .Net than java roles (about 3x more .net roles).

Thus I have two questions on this:

So I'd like to get a feel for what people have experienced especially those that have worked in the NW. Do you find that there actually more Java roles vs .net (because the agents don't advertise them), or there are actually more .net roles?

Could you please PM me the contact details of an Agent you trust (I know many people don't trust them at all - and with good reason), but ideally someone you know personally and either has mainly contracts in North West and another agent who deals with mainly contracts in London. The reason being I'd like to get a feel for the market from them and discuss with them if this is right time so obviously don't want someone who doesn't care.

Thanks in advance folks!

Someone must know at least a good agent right?

Or at least the ones to avoid?

Comment

You're looking at it the wrong way. You don't find an agent and get them to find you a contract, you find a contract and it usually comes with an agent attached, like a parasite.

Comment

I think you've misunderstood the contractor/agent dynamic, we barely tolerate each other, let alone trust each other. Each would shaft each other for a fiver a day.

None will talk or chat with you unless they can screw a few quid out of you.

You need to be able to live off your wits, not liaise with a pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
          Someone must know at least a good agent right?

Or at least the ones to avoid?
          Company has requirement phones agent they like or got fed up with him ringing.

Agent then puts advert on jobserve receives 200 emails and randomly filters them. You need to be quick enough with a good enough cv to get to the top of that pile
          Last edited by eek; 28 January 2014, 20:28.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ok guys I take your point, they're not to be trusted as far as you can throw them.

But how about the other question? Do you guys who work in the NW find Java or .Net roles easier to find?

Comment

Ok guys I take your point, they're not to be trusted as far as you can throw them.

But how about the other question? Do you guys who work in the NW find Java or .Net roles easier to find?
              pass as I doubt there are many people who do both. At clientco I'm fairly unique in knowing both .net and Java....

Also 2 years experience in something is hardly much. I've been doing .Net for 11 years, Java 15....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am from the NW myself and find it a contracting dead-zone....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I am from the NW myself and find it a contracting dead-zone....
                  Ditto here.
                  I live up North, but work down South.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Newcastle has a fair amount of techie stuff going on but otherwise I'd suggest looking at Edinburgh.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X