• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Their melt down is your problem because?

If the client isn't a good one causing contractors to leave then they need to have a discussion find out why.
    We don't know that is the case. We know there are mercenary contractors on here that would dump a client without a second thought for a 10 quid a day rise.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not a case of bad client per say but the project we were employed to work on back in September hasn't actually kicked off yet, and the politics are a total nightmare, it is due to go live end of jan but I suspect it will be put back again or even cancelled.

Not in the best part of town and the commute is a bit tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
        It's not a case of bad client per say but the project we were employed to work on back in September hasn't actually kicked off yet, and the politics are a total nightmare, it is due to go live end of jan but I suspect it will be put back again or even cancelled.

Not in the best part of town and the commute is a bit tedious.
        This is tricky - i'm in a similar position.
        On one hand we're supposed to act like a business etc, etc. But on the other hand where a business might have no problem with being paid for 6 months to do nothing, we as professional individuals can't necessarily afford to have that kind of black hole in our CV.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          This is tricky - i'm in a similar position.
          On one hand we're supposed to act like a business etc, etc. But on the other hand where a business might have no problem with being paid for 6 months to do nothing, we as professional individuals can't necessarily afford to have that kind of black hole in our CV.
          well that is immaterial - as you are a business (assuming you are limited co).

And it is not a black hole you were employed/engaged to do a job/work on a project just put that down...

Comment

I've often found that the less challenging contracts can actually look really impressive on your CV.

Comment

Update today screaming earache on the phone that I am in breech of contract, and they expect me to attend site from Monday.

I explained that I am unavailable, but they really are not happy.

I really don't need this

Comment

Update today screaming earache on the phone that I am in breech of contract, and they expect me to attend site from Monday.
                Expect them to withhold payment and you will have to fight them to get them to pay...
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I really don't need this
                  Don't take it personally, it's business, if you were available for a role next week and their client wanted you it'd all be smiles and jokes.

Comment

There's your mistake - it's not a matter of being unavailable, it's a matter of the contract already being terminated, because you gave notice and have served the notice period.

Since the contract has been terminated, there is no further discussion to be had about going back, unless they are talking about a new contract.

For future reference, send the email first, then ring them and speak to them - opening line "I've just sent you an email, have you got it?"
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I really don't need this
                      Ignore them. They will say pretty much anything to get you to go back so they can get some more money.

Do not worry about bad feelings etc. If, in 6 months time, they think they can make money out of you they will kick down a wall to get to speak to you as if you are best mates.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X