• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period - 12 months fixed term contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period - 12 months fixed term contract

Hi all,
    I am wondering if someone can give me advice. If the contract says 3 months notice, do I still have to give it if the contract only has 2 months left.
    Will this mean it will automatically end on the date stated on the contract unless agreed for extension?

Does the employer to have the right to ask me to give 3 months notice beyond the contract end date if I want to leave? Or I can just leave at the end of the contract - 2 months to go?

Please advise.

Thanks so much.

Originally posted by digital contracter View Post
    Hi all,
    I am wondering if someone can give me advice. If the contract says 3 months notice, do I still have to give it if the contract only has 2 months left.
    Will this mean it will automatically end on the date stated on the contract unless agreed for extension?

Does the employer to have the right to ask me to give 3 months notice beyond the contract end date if I want to leave? Or I can just leave at the end of the contract - 2 months to go?

Please advise.

Thanks so much.
    Where to start...

The contract stops in two months. No notice required from either side. Der...

However, I assume you want out early. In which case, you're slightly stuffed in terms of notice periods. All that's left is to try to negotiate an early release date with the client and expect some grief from the agency.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Where to start...

The contract stops in two months. No notice required from either side. Der...

However, I assume you want out early. In which case, you're slightly stuffed in terms of notice periods. All that's left is to try to negotiate an early release date with the client and expect some grief from the agency.
      So in case if I hand in the notice right now, they won't have the right to ask me to stay for 3 months but 2 months only as per the end date?

I am just worried they might request me to stay 3 months instead of 2.
      Please confirm?

Comment

Does the employer to have the right to ask me to give 3 months notice beyond the contract end date if I want to leave?
        It all depends on what your contract says so so back and read it all carefully.

Does it say that you are obliged to accept an extension if the employer offers one? If it doesn't, then the contract will just end on the stated date with no further obligation to on either party. It would be polite to let the client know that the contract is coming to an end so you can either negotiate an extension or organise an orderly handover if you want to leave. Whatever happens, remember that verbal promises aren't worth anything and you need to make sure you keep a copy (external to work) of the emails confirming what the intention is in case a dispute arises.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          It all depends on what your contract says so so back and read it all carefully.

Does it say that you are obliged to accept an extension if the employer offers one? If it doesn't, then the contract will just end on the stated date with no further obligation to on either party. It would be polite to let the client know that the contract is coming to an end so you can either negotiate an extension or organise an orderly handover if you want to leave. Whatever happens, remember that verbal promises aren't worth anything and you need to make sure you keep a copy (external to work) of the emails confirming what the intention is in case a dispute arises.
          Thanks a lot for your advice!

Comment

So in case if I hand in the notice right now, they won't have the right to ask me to stay for 3 months but 2 months only as per the end date?

I am just worried they might request me to stay 3 months instead of 2.
            Please confirm?
            If you want to leave in 2 months time (i.e. when contract ends) then no need to do anything at all. The contract will end on this date unless both parties agree to an extension so no notice required etc.

You can wait until the friday before and then just not turn up on the monday if you really wanted to. Probably not best - its always good to advise client of plans. Two months to go though I'd keep quiet.

Then again, I'm sure I'm not the only one whos had a client who doesnt understand this either. Be a bit careful. I had one who had me on a month rolling contract with no notice (This was after a few 3 monthers where notice period was 1 month and they decided they had to do it this way from now on regardless of what I though).

Told them a week before the end of one that I wasn't renewing. They tried to say I had to renew if they offered it to me or give them at least a months notice to get a replacement. Umm right ok I don't think so - you were the ones who changed the terms.

Ended up sticking my stuff in the car on friday afternoon - to clients disbelief. Even though I tried to explain the situation they were still convinced I couldnt do it.

I'd wait until max 3-4 weeks before then just politely tell them you don't intend to renew if thats what you want to do. Just make sure they understand the score.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Where to start...
              ^^ This.

This isn't rocket science and some common sense applied would have answer your question. Think about contracts like your mobile phone. If you are in your last month before it expires do you think if you give them a months notice they will continue to charge you after the contract ends? No, it's over. The relationship no longer exists, no obligations to do work, get paid nada.

Does annoy me that we are supposed to be contractors with the clue being in the word yet so many people have such a poor grasp of the basics of what a contract is. Mal summed it up very well in a post the other day saying securing work and dealing with contracts is our job, the IT bit in between is secondary (or something along those lines). How do people enter in to something that their livelihood depends on yet not understand the basics of what they are doing?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 30 November 2013, 17:16.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                ^^ This.

This isn't rocket science and some common sense applied would have answer your question. Think about contracts like your mobile phone. If you are in your last month before it expires do you think if you give them a months notice they will continue to charge you after the contract ends? No, it's over. The relationship no longer exists, no obligations to do work, get paid nada.

Does annoy me that we are supposed to be contractors with the clue being in the word yet so many people have such a poor grasp of the basics of what a contract is. Mal summed it up very well in a post the other day saying securing work and dealing with contracts is our job, the IT bit in between is secondary (or something along those lines). How do people enter in to something that their livelihood depends on yet not understand the basics of what they are doing?
                That's a very poor analogy - that's exactly what some (most?) mobile phone operators do - you have a year's (or two year) contract, but you have to give a month's notice if you don't want it to continue after the year - the year is the minimum period then it goes to a rolling month.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  That's a very poor analogy - that's exactly what some (most?) mobile phone operators do - you have a year's (or two year) contract, but you have to give a month's notice if you don't want it to continue after the year - the year is the minimum period then it goes to a rolling month.
                  Hmmm, yes fair point but the rolling period is written in to the contract you know it is coming the first comes to an end and you enter in to a pre-agreed rolling contract. It isn't written in to ours.

Should have thought a bit harder and picked one that does expire without moving in to a rolling option.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know several well paid social services managers who dont know what a contract is. Should be taught in schools imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X