• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Managers - I need your input please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I do also like to clarify whether the risks of the proposed approach are fully understood.
    ...and let's not forget checking that the requirements are being correctly managed...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I throw in the odd bit of chin stroking as well if it goes on too long. Just before I start pinching myself to stay awake...
      Do the delegates in the meeting not get a bit upset when you start stroking their chins?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        I don't think you should use the "IR35" excuse for not attempting to take on additional responsibilities. Switching skill-set is not easy and does require you to take a risk. You might even have to become a permie!
        I didn't say don't do it because of IR35, just be aware if you do pull this off to be aware your IR35 situation will almost certainly change and either needs to be accounted for or insurances purchased.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          ...and let's not forget checking that the requirements are being correctly managed...
          And that they remain valid as the business case is reviewed at stage boundary.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            And that they remain valid as the business case is reviewed at stage boundary.
            Not forgetting ensuring tactical changes do not have adverse strategic ramifications
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
              Not forgetting ensuring tactical changes do not have adverse strategic ramifications
              Or affect the benefit model.

Comment

Thanks ,Lovely response from all, With the numerous response I think I am better off taking the Prince 2 course. I am already on a Team lead contract role working closely with the PM.

And to be honest I don’t see what he does. The only thing is schedule conf appointments, and appointments, and another appointment, and appointments. Then mayb in the end he summarises anything we (technical guys) have said in the meeting.

At the back of my mind - im thinking,…….. hmmm I could do what this bloke(PM) is doing now, give my brain a rest and even earn more. –

In all I think moving purely into PM contract roles with little/no experience is the problem –

Then how do I gain this experience if no is ready to get me on board without prior exp. (Then I think this is where - “going for a lower rate role comes in”)

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
                  And to be honest I don’t see what he does. The only thing is schedule conf appointments, and appointments, and another appointment, and appointments. Then mayb in the end he summarises anything we (technical guys) have said in the meeting.
                  a common perception and a reason why there are so many tulip PMs around.

Comment

Thanks ,Lovely response from all, With the numerous response I think I am better off taking the Prince 2 course. I am already on a Team lead contract role working closely with the PM.

At the back of my mind - im thinking,…….. hmmm I could do what this bloke(PM) is doing now, give my brain a rest and even earn more. –

In all I think moving purely into PM contract roles with little/no experience is the problem –

Then how do I gain this experience if no is ready to get me on board without prior exp. (Then I think this is where - “going for a lower rate role comes in”)

You cannot see what he does then you go on to make flippant comments about what you think he does.
                    You are inarticulate and clearly have no idea - basic skills to overcome to be a PM, please do us all a favour and go perm and learn the trade by completing a few projects.

Comment

And to be honest I don’t see what he does.
                      So you're doing all the work and he is calm and in control.

Sounds like he his doing job right.

Comment

Working...
                      X