• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Managers - I need your input please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    successfully verified standard of project progress.
    There's the first flaw. Most consultancies don't want real progress, just enough to keep the money coming in....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
      If I was choosing between 2 PMs who had consistently delivered $5M projects I'd be looking at personality fit, I don't think certification would get much of a look-in. It'd be like asking a taxi driver stopping distances before getting in a cab, you either think s/he can get you to your destination or not.

Note: I've never hired project managers, just my tuppence.
      I partially agree with you ... but what I am saying is that if you have a pile of CV's and you need to select a few to interview then certification is going to be a plus point. And that may be a big, or small plus depending on your unique situation.

Once you interview them though it doesn't count for much. But if you interview two equally good candidates, find them both qualified, but only need one then you need to find something to select between them. A certification might just swing it.

Selecting by "Personality Fit" is risky. At worst it is nepotism, at best it can blind you to the best candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That is the reality of it. The qualification really just get's you past the agent IMO.
        Actually at the FTSE100 that I work all project managers must have PMI or Prince 2. It's called "Licensed to Work". PMI is preferred as it's an international company.

Architects need TOGAF.

Developers need to work for Infosys or Wipro.

Nobody knows what the BA's need.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          Actually at the FTSE100 that I work all project managers must have PMI or Prince 2. It's called "Licensed to Work". PMI is preferred as it's an international company.

Architects need TOGAF.

Nobody knows what the BA's need.
          I can understand PMI PMP as there is a quality bar in there but PRINCE2 is a pointless qualification and I can't see any credible organisation valuing it as a "license to work".
          Last edited by craig1; 5 October 2013, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
            I can't see any credible organisation valuing it as a "license to work".
            It's part of a set of requirements that project manager need to fulfil such as completing the internal training courses on change management.

The division I am in runs around 300 IT projects per year and so there is a large body of PM's ( permie and contractor ) with people joining and leaving all the time and it's just one method to ensure standards.

So if you were looking for a PM role in the large FTSE 100 then having PMI or Prince2 is a big plus on other candidates who may not have a formal PM accreditation.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              Is that known as "License to cock up an implementation"?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Your CV will then get binned if you haven't been a PM before. Suggest you either:

Take on some PM / workstream lead responsibilities in a non-PM role - perhaps cover for a PM on leave.
                Try to land a PM role in a small project which demands some actual work as well in your field, preferably in a niche where you have expertise and/or with a client who respects your skills, or
                Get a permie PM role.
                You missed one

Boo

Comment

I just stumbled on the below and thought i should ask the house . Any one done this course at OXford university? any good?

Advanced Project Management for Engineers and Scientists | Oxford University Department for Continuing Education

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X