• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three interviews for one role - is this unusual?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Hmmm...

My last four gigs - a total of 2 face-to-face meetings and two phone calls, and probably less than an hour's discussion for the lot. So clearly I operate at the opposite end of the bell curve!
    maybe your reputation precedes you
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      maybe your reputation precedes you
      Maybe I have a damned good CV...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Eh? What planet is this happening on? Can't remember last time I ever needed more than 1 phone interview and then the offer usually is made the same day. My rates are still going up as well so not like I'm in some crappy area. Glad I'm not pigeon holed into just finance then!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          I'm a newbie contractor and start my first gig next week. I had three separate interviews over two weeks (one face to face) totalling almost three hours with the client. Is this unusual? I was a bit surprised to need more than one interview based on experience from other contractors I know. I'm at upper-middle/senior manager level.

Interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience...
          I once had six in a row in the environs of Hammersmith but mercifully the client cancelled the last one because the putative interviewer "was in a meeting"; this was a five-hour job with no refreshment.

But interviews do not work. Look at poor Lord C12H22O11 and his laborious twelve-week assessments of his candidates over the years. One of his picks, Stella, just tried to sue him.

Comment

BNP missed out due to their long interview process. a 3rd and final interview was being arranged when I got an offer from another client, and I had been out of work for 3 months and was my first contract.

So jumped at the offer and was there for 3 years.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

In my experience, the more interviews the worse the gig turns out to be. Best gigs have been on the basis of a quick phone interview.

You know its not going to work when they make you go for an interview, and some spotty permie geek is doing his best to catch you out with obscure technical questions about some obscure feature that only the use.

Recent gig wasn't a bad idea. They had a recruitment session of about 2 hours. Basically, 7-8 people around the table, they went through the company, the work, general stuff etc and then had a general chat. Seemed to work well saving them time I guess also.

Surprisingly, even in that environment one or two people said things that you thought oh dear thats not going to work. (and they didnt get the gig).

Its was a 6-7 week gig and one they said they didn't want anyone to have any days off in this time (seemed fair it was only short after all). One guy thought he'd argue about that and said it was unfair. WTF you aint got the gig yet!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Eee by gum you 'ad it easy. I'ad 18 interviews for one job, and most of 'em at the bottom of a lake, and for another I 'ad to cover my self in petrol and burn to death....
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Eee by gum you 'ad it easy. I'ad 18 interviews for one job, and most of 'em at the bottom of a lake, and for another I 'ad to cover my self in petrol and burn to death....
                  Death? you 'ad it easy then...

Comment

Working...
                  X