• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 Offers - 1 Perm other Contract, what should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I have seen it - in my so far very short contracting career - is that contracting is not a career move and should instead be seen as a chance to build up funds, pay off your mortgage etc etc.

It could take you 10 years to save in a permie role that you might be able to save in 5 years as a contractor -- because you have full control over your earnings, and how you wish to allocate the funds.

If I got 10 years contracting under my belt, I wouldn't give a rat's arse about a career in any firm.

After all, once you have a solid financial background, why would you want to worry about moving up the proverbial career ladder?

Comment

Only problem is that after 10 years as a freelance you probably won't have the option to go back on the treadmill. If you step out of a career-path full time role, you must do it on the assumption that you will then stay freelance. That way, you won't be disappointed...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not sure I agree Malvol, especially for Service Management, I expect a track record of SDM roles (proper ones not pretend) would open doors into a permie job at a reasonable level (I am hoping so anyway !) as more companies go the outsourcing route and need teams to manage the contract.
        For the pure techies, I agree this is a much harder jump, since they may not have the management credentials e.g. Team lead, section manager etc that the permie plodders have got through 'waiting in line long enough'.
        I also think the lines are blurring and that relevant experience is the decider not whether you did it as contract or perm (used to be a very clear division)

Comment

Perhaps - exccept I would point out I've been in Service Management since about 1982 and am probably one of the more experienced ITIL guys out there. Then again, I am very old, so that may change the picture...

I'm not saying it can't be done, but the reality is that you should not plan on it.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Then again there may be the option of going perm with the client you are contracting for, if that option arises. This may be possible if you have contracted for some length of time with the same company, so they know your potential, and your knowledge is relevant to their company/industry.

Comment

Working...
            X