• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What am I doing wrong ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Have some friends look over it and see what they think - even better if they are also contractors, as they know what finds them work.
    There are people on this board who will review CVs as they are involved in recruitment either due to their role on IT projects or because they are a pimp.

1. Take out all personal information i.e. name, phone numbers, company names, university name, locations etc.

2. Post on a free site, talk to a few people via PM where you can share the link with them.

As well as linkedin if there are any face to face meetup groups near you for an appropriate technology go along and get known. You should do this even if you are in a contract.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
      How do position your linkedin profile against the different CVs? Just interested like.
      It is tricky.

Comment

I agree with others about getting your CV reviewed. I had 4 sent to me recently for someone to do a risk review post systems implementation and 2 of the CVs were shocking. The agent assured me that they were both up to doing the job, but you couldn't tell that from what was written down - so no interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It is tricky.
          Think about what you are trying to achieve here

Your LinkedIn profile is not about your technical skills, it's about what you do in general terms and what value to add to the client (think "I have delivered", not "I can do"). The techie words go in the "career" history bit, but you only need to mention them once since that's how the search engine works.

Your CV should start with a two part summary of who you are. The first half of that is your LinkedIn profile, the second half is why you are so suitable for the specific gig in question. You then follow that with some relevant mini-case histories and then the list of one-liner roles you have filled going back forever.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Think about what you are trying to achieve here

Your LinkedIn profile is not about your technical skills, it's about what you do in general terms and what value to add to the client (think "I have delivered", not "I can do"). The techie words go in the "career" history bit, but you only need to mention them once since that's how the search engine works.

Your CV should start with a two part summary of who you are. The first half of that is your LinkedIn profile, the second half is why you are so suitable for the specific gig in question. You then follow that with some relevant mini-case histories and then the list of one-liner roles you have filled going back forever.
            More or less how I do it. I need to get niche stuff into LinkedIn as well though because I am getting interesting approaches from pimps based on my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              More or less how I do it. I need to get niche stuff into LinkedIn as well though because I am getting interesting approaches from pimps based on my profile.
              Mine, such as they are, are listed as specialities in the summary profile, but the buzzwords are scattered through the Experience list. The pimps will use simple keyword searching, and LinkedIn's search will look at the whole profile entry so it's not that important where you put them, but having a quick list in the profile means at least everyone will see them.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X