• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do in this situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do in this situation

OK ,So 8 months contract (Application Migration )- Now 3 months left , (4weeks notice on contract)
    Client is saying they dont have hardware budget anymoore to carry on.

what would you do?

Wait till the end of the contract?(Possibility they might say sorry we cant pay you at some point before the end)

Or Look for another role inbetween and hand in notice

Firstly I would try and get date out of them of when they think this money will dry up. Will it be the end or not. That is key. I would expect if they have run out of money they will be running round like headless chickens to plan the exit early and clean so they should know a date. They won't just carry on until they hit the last dollar and just down tools.

Take 3 weeks off that and that is when you start looking.

You do not jack the gig early. That is just ridiculous IMHO
    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 July 2013, 15:54.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Firstly I would try and get date out of them of when they think this money will dry up. Will it be the end or not. That is key.

Take 3 weeks off that and that is when you start looking.

You do not jack the gig early IMO.
      Thanks for the response, Noted!

In a situation where i have 4 weeks notice - would it be rude to only give 2 weeks politely if I secure another gig?

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post

In a situation where i have 4 weeks notice - would it be rude to only give 2 weeks politely if I secure another gig?
        It would be more than rude, it would be breach of contract.

Just because the client is in trouble and a gig is 'possibly' going to finish early it doesn't mean you have to go all mercenary and plan to breach contract or drop your client in the tulip.

Find the reality of the situation before having all these ridiculous ideas and if it isn't as you expected then negotiate.

Quitting a client early just because the end is coming is probably the worst reason I have seen to jack a gig in. Every one comes to an end one way or another. If we all went round dumping our clients just because we found something better in the last few weeks contracting would have died a long time ago.

See it to the end whenever that is and then start looking like everyone does in every contract.

Comment

OK ,So 8 months contract (Application Migration )- Now 3 months left , (4weeks notice on contract)
          Client is saying they dont have hardware budget anymoore to carry on.

what would you do?

Wait till the end of the contract?(Possibility they might say sorry we cant pay you at some point before the end)

Or Look for another role inbetween and hand in notice
          If you don't hate the contract keep doing it while you are being paid or until the contract ends. Are you through an agent? Usually they pay you and they worry about getting it from the client.

Comment

Discuss it with the client. If they have no money and are killing the project, then the chance to bin you off early might be welcome. If they have no money at the moment, then they might want you around to help mothball the project for when they can afford to restart,

It's worth starting these discussions early - if they are keen for you to go, then start looking and leave when you have something to go to. If they explain clearly that you will be needed until the bitter end, then don't waste your time looking for anything else.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It would be more than rude, it would be breach of contract.
              Yes, but MOO (of lack of it) means you could give 4 weeks notice and refuse to do any work (or even turn up on site) for the final 2 weeks of that period. This is even more "legitimate" if there would genuinely be little or no work to be done in that final 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Yes, but MOO (of lack of it) means you could give 4 weeks notice and refuse to do any work (or even turn up on site) for the final 2 weeks of that period. This is even more "legitimate" if there would genuinely be little or no work to be done in that final 2 weeks.
                This version of MoO is still up for debate as far as I can see. It generally means obligation to give work once the contract has ended. Obligation to give and do work within a contract seems to be a moot point looking at recent discussions we have had and some comments from professionals in the IR35 posts. I also used to think the ability to refuse work in a contract was an option but I am not so sure now.

Either way, just using it as an excuse to walk out a gig isn't acceptable. What with the ambiguity around MoO in a gig it would be pretty easy to prove breach as the sole intention was to walk early. If you are going to do it just stick two fingers up to the client and live with it, don't call in sick or hide behind MoO. You both know what you are doing and why.

Like notice periods better clarity in the contract first is the answer, just believing it is your interpretation and sod them isn't the way.

Comment

Working...
                X