• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London address - Does it matter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London address - Does it matter

I have been looking for a Java Contract role for last month but with no luck. I am based in between Reading and Oxford. There is a direct train from my place to london which takes 45mins so I can easily commute.
    Does it matter if my address on CV is london based for all london based jobs?

Originally posted by CforChaChaCha View Post
    I have been looking for a Java Contract role for last month but with no luck. I am based in between Reading and Oxford. There is a direct train from my place to london which takes 45mins so I can easily commute.
    Does it matter if my address on CV is london based for all london based jobs?
    Why do you have your address on your CV?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Well I have been using my residential address for long. Do you recommend it shouldn't be there?

Comment

Do you recommend I should not?

Comment

Have you read the newbie guides to the right? --------------->
          Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by CforChaChaCha View Post
            Do you recommend I should not?
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              WHS

I'll be nice, the frist thing an agent will do is strip off any contact details and add their's before it goes to the Customer, so why waste precious space with stuff they are going to remove
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                WHS

I'll be nice, the frist thing an agent will do is strip off any contact details and add their's before it goes to the Customer, so why waste precious space with stuff they are going to remove
                This. Not only that, but all you need on your CV is an e-mail address and a phone number because anything else just puts you at greater risk of identity theft, especially given that most job boards nowadays allow almost anyone to download CVs.

Besides, not listing your address and instead putting something like "UK resident" means that pimps in a hurry to shortlist are less likely to cut you based on location...because they have no idea where you actually live.

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
                  because they have no idea where you actually live.
                  Even if they know where you live, unless it's somewhere that they are familiar with, they don't have a clue where that is on a map.

That applies to whether you live in London, and they have no idea how far it is from one side of London to Hertfordshire where the role actually is (although it's advertised as London), or whether you live anywhere outside of London and they have no idea how far it is from Leeds to Aberdeen or Bristol or London or anywhere in fact.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
                    This. Not only that, but all you need on your CV is an e-mail address and a phone number because anything else just puts you at greater risk of identity theft, especially given that most job boards nowadays allow almost anyone to download CVs.

Besides, not listing your address and instead putting something like "UK resident" means that pimps in a hurry to shortlist are less likely to cut you based on location...because they have no idea where you actually live.
                    Whilst this is true, understand that this can work the other way, too.

It's not uncommon for a client to specifically request of an agent that they provide "local" candidates. If the agent is merely keyword matching for the client's requests, they'll expect to find some location-based information on your CV, even if it's just a broad term such as "london"/"south-east" etc.

If there's nothing there, you can end up falling through the net and not being put forward for the role simply because of that, despite the suitability of your skillset to the role requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X