• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract End Date and Day Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taita View Post
    If I was the Client/Agent and miffed by your interpretation of the rules to suit yourself rather than you conducting your business in a conventional manner, I would delay your final payment for a few months. You should ask yourself what would you do/feel if you were the Client? There are all sorts of ways of plausibly delaying payments - lost invoice- incorrect invoice- cheque in the post- accounts system changes - missing timesheet- are you sure you have not got it - misquoted bank details/bank looking for remittance etc.......
    Are you mad or something? This really winds me up.

Not getting into the rights and wrongs of giving notice (thats a different argument) but the OP has quite legally and within contract given notice. Nothing wrong with that. Also, nothing wrong with how hes interpreted it either - hes right, client is wrong.

Dont see how this gives the client the right to act like a child and throw toys out of the cot. If OP has done the work, he deserves to get paid. end of.

Also, if its via an agency, client attitude is mostly irrelevant. Invoice agency, if they don't pay up, start proceedings. Simples.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
      If I was the Client/Agent and miffed by your interpretation of the rules to suit yourself rather than you conducting your business in a conventional manner, I would delay your final payment for a few months. You should ask yourself what would you do/feel if you were the Client? There are all sorts of ways of plausibly delaying payments - lost invoice- incorrect invoice- cheque in the post- accounts system changes - missing timesheet- are you sure you have not got it - misquoted bank details/bank looking for remittance etc.......
      I know what you mean.

Was caught by surprised that I even need to seek help on CUK.

As I originally didn't even bother to interrept any rule in my contract, I just went straight into a frank discussion with my client hoping to properly plan my exit. Which was actually a mistake, as they contacted HR straight away and told me I *must* stay for 4 weeks, not even a day less.

I then found it very strange and started reviewing my own contract, hence started this thread.

If the client had been proactive in working out a plan with me for the remaining 3 or 4 or whatever weeks; and actually try to understand the current project status (I offered to sit down and review current tasks at hand, but they refused); and not exercising clauses they have no contractual right to; I would be happy to work my a*** off for the remaining time, including weekends and overtime(which I don't get paid extra), and I did offer that option at the beginning of the discussion.

This is largely due to the contractor-unfriendly client manager being mis-led by HR, and not bother to understand the situation.

Comment

Sounds like you might need to go off due to too much stress.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by panadol View Post
          I know what you mean.

Was caught by surprised that I even need to seek help on CUK.

As I originally didn't even bother to interrept any rule in my contract, I just went straight into a frank discussion with my client hoping to properly plan my exit. Which was actually a mistake, as they contacted HR straight away and told me I *must* stay for 4 weeks, not even a day less.

I then found it very strange and started reviewing my own contract, hence started this thread.

If the client had been proactive in working out a plan with me for the remaining 3 or 4 or whatever weeks; and actually try to understand the current project status (I offered to sit down and review current tasks at hand, but they refused); and not exercising clauses they have no contractual right to; I would be happy to work my a*** off for the remaining time, including weekends and overtime(which I don't get paid extra), and I did offer that option at the beginning of the discussion.

This is largely due to the contractor-unfriendly client manager being mis-led by HR, and not bother to understand the situation.
          I understand better now. Every now and then you encounter uncompromising behaviour from a line manager (especially when 'guided' by HR) and there is not much you can do about it.

However, given that your are dealing with unsympathetic people expect to have payment delayed but I do not believe you need to worry about being sued. Clients and agents know there is little to be achieved by that and they may have to pay their own costs even if the win. So generally they do not do it unless the have suffered serious financial damage.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Invoice agency, if they don't pay up, start proceedings. Simples.
            This.

If they don't want to pay up on time, then you add the charges that you are allowed to charge and invoice them for that. If they still don't pay up, then it's a small claims court action (particularly now the threshold has increased).
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X