• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealing with arsey people!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    And I certainly try to also. Because I can't be arsed. Not interested at all in making myself look good.

And yes, got to keep the permies happy...

But pisses me off when a fellow contractor plays the game and tries to make themselves look good in front of client to others detriment. Unfortunately, the bob variety seem very anxious to ensure they look good and to be fair, they are very good at it - better than me.

But its different being a contractor. Client generally does not want to hear the whinging about others.
    Why does it piss you off? It is non of your business what they do, particularly when it is part of the game making the client happy and getting more business in the future. Do you think the others and the client notice this which is why you seem to be having such a hard time at this client? I find the only people that tend to get pissed of at contractors are permies..........
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is an absolutely key element of contracting for me. I settle in quick and work very hard to keep everyone I meet on my side. I am a total chameleon, one chap, who was a nob, who I hated, invited me to his wedding - He was oblivious.
      I always present solutions and never get personal, I only do this as I know it will be to my benefit, I don't really care as much as I seem to.
      It doesn't always work, I have had a few stand-up shouting rows with nobbers over the years and sent out emails I should not have. Sometimes I have got away with it, sometimes it has cost me money.
      The worst are the real believers who think they are doing something important and changing the world. I can nod along with the fervour but I am still thinking they are twonks.
      Limit the damage, play the game that you find on site and keep earning.
      If it gets too bad, then either you are caring too much or a line has been crossed. If that happens at every job, then the problem is you.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        A good worker doesnt get complaints.
        That is, unfortunately, quite untrue.

Very often, the "good" worker gets many complaints because he makes the "bad" workers (read: permie slackers) look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          This is an absolutely key element of contracting for me. I settle in quick and work very hard to keep everyone I meet on my side. I am a total chameleon, one chap, who was a nob, who I hated, invited me to his wedding - He was oblivious.
          I always present solutions and never get personal, I only do this as I know it will be to my benefit, I don't really care as much as I seem to.
          It doesn't always work, I have had a few stand-up shouting rows with nobbers over the years and sent out emails I should not have. Sometimes I have got away with it, sometimes it has cost me money.
          The worst are the real believers who think they are doing something important and changing the world. I can nod along with the fervour but I am still thinking they are twonks.
          If it gets too bad, then either you are caring too much or a line has been crossed. If that happens at every job, then the problem is you.
          Repped. This is an excellent post. I always try to get along with the people I work with. Nothing special, but simple things like smiling, getting them coffee, or even sugar from the "costa coffee downstairs", so that the manager does not have to go downstairs. No brown nosing, but people like "availability", and that does not always mean business. I have of course met some antsy types, who have a commanding voice, and like to belittle others and give sermons, but you just have to take it easy with them, especially if the mistake is yours. Some people just take time.

psychocandy, you know you stuff mate, but when it comes to bobs, they like getting their back scratched more than others. You just need to convince them that the sun rises out of their a$$, and they will sing praises about you.
          Last edited by tranceporter; 20 February 2013, 11:51.
          I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

I agree to an extent, however I won't put up with abuse or rudeness, I will nip that in the bud. You also seem to think brown nosing everyone means you will be extended or well regarded? most people (even permies) will be able to see right through that. just do your job well, don't take any tulip and define clear boundaries of what you will do. Bending over for each and every client is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Why does it piss you off? It is non of your business what they do, particularly when it is part of the game making the client happy and getting more business in the future. Do you think the others and the client notice this which is why you seem to be having such a hard time at this client? I find the only people that tend to get pissed of at contractors are permies..........
              Not sure where you get the impression that I'm having a hard time at client? To be fair, the client knows they ain't going to get anyone even close to what I do for them....

And, no, I don't care what other contractor does either. Crack on and do a good job and get yourself extended but not to the detriment of others.

But I do care when they deliberately make themselves look good and make things up to drop me in it and/or take credit for stuff I've actually done.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

No. I am a really nice guy who gets on with everyone.. I could even get on with NLUK I think ;-)

I don't care what other people do and can put up with a fair amount from client (got to where I am) but like I said, I can't stand other contractors who seem to think they've got to do everyone else down for them to get ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  That is, unfortunately, quite untrue.

Very often, the "good" worker gets many complaints because he makes the "bad" workers (read: permie slackers) look bad.
                  The worker who is good at making himself look good doesn't get complaints....

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                    I agree to an extent, however I won't put up with abuse or rudeness, I will nip that in the bud. You also seem to think brown nosing everyone means you will be extended or well regarded? most people (even permies) will be able to see right through that. just do your job well, don't take any tulip and define clear boundaries of what you will do. Bending over for each and every client is not worth it.
                    Nah. Nor me - hate rudeness. Only person allowed to give me grief like that is the Mrs!

Dunno if its because I'm getting older I just can't be arsed to brown nose. I know what I do is good and I know I'm right. If client is going to listen to tittle tattle or think they know better then crack on and I'll go and work somewhere else.

But I'm not going to get involved in arguments or stressed about what they think of me for whatever reason.

Comment

Psycocandy you're the OP. You have another thread here about delays getting timesheets signed.

All sounds a bit iffy to me. Something big might be going wrong, whether you are aware of it or not.

Time to find another contract I think? Possibly.

Comment

Working...
                      X