• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Strengthening Link

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Strengthening Link

Now I know most of us tend not to use the links on the RHS ---> (or however NLUK shows it) but saw this link on IR35 changes to be included in 2013 Finance Bill.

Apologies if already covered, but I found it interesting to read.

IR35 to be strengthened on December 11th :: Contractor UK

Can anyone translate it for me? What does it mean to us limited company directors or is it a "wait and see"
    Blood in your poo

Comment

It's in here, about a fifth of the way down (search for 'IR35') - http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/draf..._bill_2013.pdf
      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        Can anyone translate it for me? What does it mean to us limited company directors or is it a "wait and see"
        Its the rule that makes it illegal for heads of quangos to sit off payroll being paid via a personal service company.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Depends if your role controls a client's P&L or not... this is the abandoned Alexander Rule by another route.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Interim Directors caught??

I take it to mean that if you act as an interim Director then you are inside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
              I take it to mean that if you act as an interim Director then you are inside IR35.
              Are you in charge of the quango or government department your psc is selling your services to. If you are this covers that tax dodge.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Are you in charge of the quango or government department your psc is selling your services to. If you are this covers that tax dodge.
                Pretty unlikely to impact any of us then?
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Office holder appears to have a wider definition for HMR&C:

‘An office in this context is, in my opinion, a post which can be recognised as existing, whether it be occupied for the time being or vacant, and which, if occupied, does not owe its existence in any way to the identity of the incumbent or his appointment to the post. It follows, I think, that the office must owe its existence to some constituent instrument, whether it be a charter, statute, declaration of trust, contract (other than a contract of personal service) or instrument of some other kind. It also follows, in my view, that the office must have a sufficient degree of continuity to admit of its being held by successive incumbents: it need not be capable of permanent or prolonged or indefinite existence, but it cannot be limited to the tenure of one man, for if it were so it would lack that independent existence which to my mind the word “office” imports. It may be that it should in some degree possess a public character, but it is not necessary to decide that point in this case, for the taxpayer’s functions in respect of which fees were received undoubtedly had such a character.’

Offices: definition
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Office holder appears to have a wider definition for HMR&C:

‘An office in this context is, in my opinion, a post which can be recognised as existing, whether it be occupied for the time being or vacant, and which, if occupied, does not owe its existence in any way to the identity of the incumbent or his appointment to the post. It follows, I think, that the office must owe its existence to some constituent instrument, whether it be a charter, statute, declaration of trust, contract (other than a contract of personal service) or instrument of some other kind. It also follows, in my view, that the office must have a sufficient degree of continuity to admit of its being held by successive incumbents: it need not be capable of permanent or prolonged or indefinite existence, but it cannot be limited to the tenure of one man, for if it were so it would lack that independent existence which to my mind the word “office” imports. It may be that it should in some degree possess a public character, but it is not necessary to decide that point in this case, for the taxpayer’s functions in respect of which fees were received undoubtedly had such a character.’

Offices: definition
                    The drafting suggests to me that an office (officer) is an a executive decision making position. I think it will catch a number of contractors in senior posts i.e. 'Director' of this or that but we can be sure that the usual wide variety of interpretations will arise and there will be tears before teatime with managers being deemed to be capable of executive decisions on behalf of their employers.

Comment

Working...
                    X