• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced Xmas not working - penny pinching clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Like I said, dont expect me to go above and beyond in january when in december I've highlighted the fact that theres a risk its going to be delayed but they'd rather save a few quid.
    1)3 weeks is hardly "a few quid"
    2)If you want to be permanently employed, get a permanent job

(yes I would still be annoyed if this was foisted on me without warning)
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      1)3 weeks is hardly "a few quid"
      2)If you want to be permanently employed, get a permanent job

(yes I would still be annoyed if this was foisted on me without warning)
      3 days in my case at the moment so it is a few quid....

No I know this goes with the territory but it should work both ways.

If client wants things done then dont cut corners and expect things done in less time than is needed. Work out whats important - saving money or getting the work done - you sometimes cant have both.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ambient View Post
        On the other hand, it's a great pointer to being outside IR35, particularly if the place doesn't close down completely over Christmas (as an employer couldn't force an employee to take holiday in those circumstances). This is the lack of MoO that we're surely all striving for.

Besides, it's only a few days, and you deserve a rest don't you? :-)
        Depends how it is worded. If you are lumped in with the same message as the permies could be a pointer to D&C. I personally get them to make it clear that due to xmas plans that affect the site and the permies my services won't be required.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Christmas Shutdown is a recent phenomenon, and one to be cautiously welcomed IMO.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            It's not penny pinching, it is good business planning and management IMHO. They know that their permie staff is either away or not as productive during that period and that their ability to manage their contractors is probably limited. Added to that is the fact that some of the permies will be firefighting due to lower staffing, they decide not to run the risk of paying us to take the piss and goof off, or be less productive due to bottlenecks in management and process.
            Agreed and a couple of days from a contractor isn't going alter plans much either way anyway so it's just micro management that is more hassle than it's worth.

It most cases it is a blanket statement that can also be negotiated. I am working two of the days this period as deliverable just happens to have fallen in between the period and has to be done. And guess what... I put it to the client we could do it he agreed, got permission to bill for the period and 2 of the ******* contractors threw a stink about having to work over xmas. Others were ok so it's going ahead.

If there is a need it can be worked around and for every contractor that cries about having to have enforced time there is another contractor that cries he is being asked to work. Easiest thing to do is just to enforce it and deal with it. We can be our own worst enemy as well. Isn't always the clients fault.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Depends how it is worded. If you are lumped in with the same message as the permies could be a pointer to D&C. I personally get them to make it clear that due to xmas plans that affect the site and the permies my services won't be required.
              Nah. Office is open and permies can use leave if they so desire or work if not. It just happens that I think they all planned to book leave anyway.
              Last edited by psychocandy; 21 December 2012, 14:37.

Comment

Nah. Office is open and permies can use leave if they so desire or work if not. It just happens that I think they all planned to book leave anyway.

But as the only contractor in the team, I've been asked not come in for this period. To save a few quid they have admitted.
                They aren't going to say 'because we don't trust you' or 'can't be arsed with the hassle' or anything like that are they. Just sounds like they picked the simplest option.

Comment

NLUK - I see what you mean but like you said you can guarantee if client decided something had to happen over xmas they'd have a big issue if I said no thanks wont be here.
                  Last edited by psychocandy; 21 December 2012, 14:37.

Comment

NLUK - I see what you mean but like you said you can guarantee if client decided something had to happen over xmas they'd have a big issue if I said no thanks wont be here.
                    Some would some wouldn't. Changes client by client. Most large organisations and smaller ones with decent managers wouldn't. Depends on what the expectations were when you joined as pointed out by other posters. The last two gigs I had were over xmas and I asked them prior to contract signing what the situation was so expectations were set and understood early.

But, I decided I'd rather work and work load dictates as such and they aint interested. And I just know they'll be whinging come january when things arent done as the expect. And I aint working those 3x8 hrs or more for free in the evenings come january which I think they've got in mind from recent discussions.
                    Yeah, I get that, would be piss poor management if they did put deadlines at risk for poor decisions over xmas but they will get over it but that's clients and that's contracting for you. Chin up and get one with it.

Comment

No I know this goes with the territory but it should work both ways.
                      It does - when you want a holiday you inform the client in reasonable time you won't be available that week. When they don't need you, they do the same.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X