• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do contractors have to take a lunch break?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a legal requirement to take a lunchbreak? Can I work through lunch with no questions asked?

Yes you can work through lunch.

However whether the client recognises it in their hours is up to them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
      Is it a legal requirement to take a lunchbreak? Can I work through lunch with no questions asked?
      Lunch breaks are for permies

Seriously though, there has never been any mention of lunch breaks in my contracts (and rightly so). I generally take 20 mins and leave early/come in later. Sometimes take a bit longer. It's never the same time of the day either.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

And if you sit there munching your sarnie whild doing something else at your desk you will piss everyone off royally. That isn't working through your lunch, that is having your lunch at your desk. This is obviously part of your plan to go home early which won't endear you to your colleagues and boss. You are still being percieved to be working less and however much you try shake it it is that perception that is the problem.

It's like those people that say they come in early and then spend half an hour eating eating their cornflakes and milk at their desk. All it achieves is to wind people up and get a bad rep for them.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One client I was add had a policy where everyone had to take at least half an hour break throughout the working day and contractors had to work a 40 hour week (not including break).

On the timesheet it automatically calculated your hours depending on your card access and you had to allocated at least 30 mins to a break. No one cared if you actually took it or not as long as it was there.

My current client just has 7.5 hours a day and does not give a fig what I do as long as the hours are met and the quality is high.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
            No, your employee might take you to a tribunal if you don't respect their inalienable right to a lunch break.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And if you sit there munching your sarnie whild doing something else at your desk you will piss everyone off royally. That isn't working through your lunch, that is having your lunch at your desk. This is obviously part of your plan to go home early which won't endear you to your colleagues and boss. You are still being percieved to be working less and however much you try shake it it is that perception that is the problem.

It's like those people that say they come in early and then spend half an hour eating eating their cornflakes and milk at their desk. All it achieves is to wind people up and get a bad rep for them.
              You said "boss". Lol

Caught you

Comment

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
                You said "boss". Lol

Caught you
                I am trying to talk in your and the OP's terms so you can actually understand what is being said. In this isntance it is pretty clear it is a boss, not a client manager.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  One client I was add had a policy where everyone had to take at least half an hour break throughout the working day and contractors had to work a 40 hour week (not including break).

On the timesheet it automatically calculated your hours depending on your card access and you had to allocated at least 30 mins to a break. No one cared if you actually took it or not as long as it was there.

My current client just has 7.5 hours a day and does not give a fig what I do as long as the hours are met and the quality is high.
                  Automatic timesheet. **** that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I find that:-

1. No-one notices if you come in early or even if your a bit late.
                    2. No-one notices if you work through your lunch or take 2 hours.

But :-

1. If you leave 5 minutes early some knobhead will notice.

Therefore, I tend to not stress about getting in too early, take as long as I want for lunch, then don't mind working a little over. But, client has done well out of me so if anyone ever moans about me leaving early one day, that'll be it for extras.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X