• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working on a number of projects, and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one hasn't affected me yet, but by looking at the current ads on jobserve, I get the feeling it could do in future contracts!

I've seen a few contracts pop up with no specific project/work defined, instead it says something like "you will be working on a number of projects".

Now I know how important it is to define a list of things to do as far as possible, and not just be someone who does whatever the client asks whenever they want.

So, I'm curious as to how one would go about a contract such as this. I wouldn't feel comfortable with having a clause that allows the client to move me around projects as they see fit.

If this has affected others, how have they handled this? Fight to get specific projects or deliverables listed? Suck it up and just accept the fact that the contract is an IR35 fail?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

I don't think this is bad as it sounds. Firstly the agents are probably technically incompetent so can't describe them and secondly the client may not want the nature and technology of his projects splashed on jobserve.

There is also the consideration you may indeed be running or working on a couple of different projects. You just ask that these be defined in the contract. At best a schedule of work for each one covering scope responsibilites etc if possible, Project Manager for <project 1> <project 2> if not. I don't think you need to define what a PM does, just scope of work.

I certainly don't think you have to assume it is an IR35 fail. I would think there are many ways around this one, even calling it Project Management consultancy. You role would be to consult on any projects that are failing possibly. That way being given a new project isn't D&C, you are still carrying out the duties asked off you.. Dunno.. just a thought.

From my experience the agents/client has never had a problem listing what the criteria for taking you on was. They needed me for something so they just documented that. Stopping them trying to give me other stuff when I get there is a different story!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That sounds like it might work as a PM. But for a developer like me, it has "can you help out on some other project as we need more resource" written all over it.

True about the agent not understanding though. He may have written the ad in permanent employment contract mode. Who knows.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        That sounds like it might work as a PM. But for a developer like me, it has "can you help out on some other project as we need more resource" written all over it.

True about the agent not understanding though. He may have written the ad in permanent employment contract mode. Who knows.
        I would apply and then deal with it when the time comes. There has to be a job spec so even that would do attached to the contract.

Am sure if you get interviewed and the client wants you the agent will bend over backwards about a spec. It doesn't really affect them so they won't be that bothered.

When they ask you to lend a hand to another project you would have to take that on it's merits. Something quick you could brush under the carpet or a major change in role that needs a contract change etc
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're a developer then by nature you WILL be working on tasks you get assigned through the same bug-tracker as everyone else. How does moving around projects make you more of a permie than staying on one project... some permies stay on the same project for decades, others get moved around as needed... experienced permies get taken to work on new projects all the time.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is a tough one. I often work with clients where it is not a specific single project but performing a design function for multiple projects which you could bundle under a company wide drive to upgrade and transform

Is this a single project? Hard to know.

Comment

Working...
            X