• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other contractor trying to impress too much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other contractor trying to impress too much

I recently started a new contract and found I am working with another contractor to roll out a new package by the end of the year.

Not the most exciting work but its local and money is quite good. It seems that the other contractor I work with now sees me as someone he has to try and beat in 'Impressing the manager' and is trying to get more systems updated and changed as possible.

Now as much as I'm all for showing I do a good job at the same time don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting stuff done early and possibly having them say 'thanks and bye' earlier than the end of the contract as it all been done.

I will try and have a word and work out something to say if I can but they are not the most sociable of characters and keep themselves to themselves. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this as I would have not expected a fellow contractor to think like this?

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Now as much as I'm all for showing I do a good job at the same time don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting stuff done early and possibly having them say 'thanks and bye' earlier than the end of the contract as it all been done.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this as I would have not expected a fellow contractor to think like this?
    You are a professional contractor. You do the job as quickly as possible to the highest possible standard. You do NOT drag your feet just to stay in a contract. The pay-off for this professional attitude is that you get recommended and asked back.

Personally I would not have expected a fellow contractor to think like this :

don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting stuff done early and possibly having them say 'thanks and bye' earlier than the end of the contract as it all been done

Comment

WRDS.

I'm with the other contractor - I wouldn't give a ticker's cuss what the slacker thought.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have a word with the client. Tell them that the other contractor is working far too hard and you'd like to relax things a little so you can screw a bit more money out of them. You've got bills to pay after all.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

But then you've got the other extreme which I've encountered with contractor I work with who is willing to work weekends for free. Really...
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I am not slacking I am getting work done my point was they see it as some kind of competition now to try and look the better contractor.

I will not drag things out to make things last but will not rush to get it done as quickly as I can and possibly mess something up and also maybe be shooting myself in the foot. At the end of the day I am working to earn money and as much as its good to get good praise when you finished something early as they are saying bye to you after they have let you go earlier as the project is done sooner, that does not help keep the bills paid when your on the bench for quite a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              I am not slacking I am getting work done my point was they see it as some kind of competition now to try and look the better contractor.
              How do you know what he worked like before you started? How do you know he wasnt always faster at coding than you and this is just his natural pace?

work out something to say if I can but they are not the most sociable of characters
              Who is they? The client?

Comment

Get the job gone professionally. Do a good job and build your reputation; give yourself chance to move onto other projects/additional work/repeat business/extensions.

Don’t listen to idiots.

HTH
                one day at a time

Comment

I know they did not work like that before as they have already been here 3 months before I started and you have to do a week end report so I could see the average that used to get done a week as its all kept in a spreadsheet.

We don't code we are rolling out a new system so its just a rollout engineer job, they have the project to be done by the end of the year and thats what everyone is working to who is involved.

Comment

Think you need to think what being a contractor is all about, it's not about spinning the job out or whinging when someone better/faster/more efficient comes along. Learn off him.

Comment

Working...
                    X