• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

decision time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

decision time

I have been on the bench for 5 months and was starting to get a bit worried.

Last week I got 2 offers on the same day!

One 12 month rolling contract - Tax free - living abroad - accommodation provided - bills paid - 1 free flight a year. BUT the mrs wouldn't be able to join me until later on next year and I was away for 18 months (on and off) for the last contract and it wasn't very good from her point of view as she does not drive.

Second offer was a Permie role, but based in this country and they offer a 5K re-location package, health insurance and pension.

The contract is worth about 5K a year more in hard cash due to the 'tax free' incentive.

REALLY not sure which way to go and was wondering what other peeps might do with the same offers on the table??

Mel.

Don't listen to any of us - you already have a missus with strong views on the matter.

In fact why on earth are posting here in the first place (unless you want us to give you permission to take the contract abroad which you so obviously prefer)?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      unless you want us to give you permission to take the contract abroad which you so obviously prefer
      Take the contract and put the extra 5k towards the divorce lawyers

Comment

Take the permie job. You'll easily get more than £5k of benefits, such as holiday pay, sick pay and the health and pension you already mention.

And you have a chance of staying married.

Comment

Only £5k a difference per year between the permie and contract position?

I'd take the permie and/or wait for another contract position to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Take the permie job. You'll easily get more than £5k of benefits, such as holiday pay, sick pay and the health and pension you already mention.

And you have a chance of staying married.
            Yep - a no-brainer to me...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Take the contract and use the substitute clause to bring a new wife in to replace the first when abroad.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by chalced View Post
                The contract is worth about 5K a year more in hard cash due to the 'tax free' incentive.
                How does that work then?
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  How does that work then?
                  If I take off the tax I will be paying as a permie, then the contract works out at 5K more.

Not sure if 'er in doors' would like the substitute idea....lol

Comment

Only 5K more for the contract? Deffo take the permie and have the other benefits and a happy missus.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X