• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 references and REC audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 references and REC audit

Just had a phone call from current agent. They say they are being audited by the REC soon, and they notice that they haven't got any references on file for the the client who i'm currently working with for the past 12 months.

I said "why now?". They assured me that it's just for this audit, and they just need to have a little chat with my last 2 clients, to comply with this audit.

I said that I didn't want to give them because I don't like previous clients being cold-called. He flipped his lid a little bit and how dare I suggest that he would cold call

Does anyone know if a REC audit requires what the agent is asking?!
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

I have had my references checked upon starting a new contract because the client demanded it, but you've been there a year??

I have my doubts on that one...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      Just had a phone call from current agent. They say they are being audited by the REC soon, and they notice that they haven't got any references on file for the the client who i'm currently working with for the past 12 months.

I said "why now?". They assured me that it's just for this audit, and they just need to have a little chat with my last 2 clients, to comply with this audit.

I said that I didn't want to give them because I don't like previous clients being cold-called. He flipped his lid a little bit and how dare I suggest that he would cold call

That's the point when you hang up. They were trying it on for sure. But even if REC were doing an audit, that wouldn't be your problem any more than HMRC doing an audit of YourCo would be the agent's.

Comment

According to http://www.rec.uk.com/filegrab/?ref=...ECCoPFINAL.pdf

Principle 2 'Principle 2 – Respect for honesty and transparency'
        Section e
        Members should document all key stages of the recruitment process
        in line with relevant legislation and good practice guidance.

I would assume from his call that they have failed to check references which I would guess is part of good recruitment practices so they need to fix it quick.

Bearing in mind references should only be contacted as part of the recruitment process, which you are well past, I would tell them to do one. I would also advise I will contact the references personally should there be any evidence the agent has contacted them retrospectively. I would also advise the agent that you are entitled to see any records they hold on you and will find out if they have contacted them under the data protection act.

If the agent has screwed up by not following process I would have no part in retrospectively helping them correct it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And to add, from what I have read they can only contact your references with your consent. If you advise them you no longer consent they would be getting in to some hot water by ignoring your wishes.

Might all be a bit overboard but as I said I would want nothing to do with this at all.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks, all.

Client is looking to renew the contract too, so I'm a bit hesitant to give him a flat NO.

"Sure I can give you references... by the way, my rate is increasing"

Might be a good option to contact previous clients beforehand and stay in-touch to see if agent did indeed cold-call.

Comment

That's a new one, could sound plausible but ultimately you know they are fishing for leads, add this one to the list of tricks in the I just need to get two references ... sticky.

Client is looking to renew the contract too, so I'm a bit hesitant to give him a flat NO.
              What has the client offering an extension got to do with the agency fishing for leads though? Just quietly ignore the agency until they go away.

If the client comes to you saying something like "Please provide 2 references for the agency to check out", then you should give the agency 2 references. Other than that the agency can bugger off.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I've had chance to sleep on this.

I'm not going to provide references to the agent. I would be passing on previous client's names, whom I could possibly have chance to work with directly in the future. I do not want an agent in that equation. So f'off agent.

I'd be happy to provide refs to the client directly, but in this case (i.e. 1 year with working with them and offering me an extension) I can't see why they'd need those refs!!

Comment

Fishing? Absolutely! If they didn't follow the REC requirements do they deserve to pass an audit?

Maybe the agency treats you well in all other respects and you would like to help them out but do you want to do so at the risk of annoying referees you may need another time? I wouldn't be too pleased to give a reference for somebody who already has the job.

You could point out to the agent that he is going to look pretty stupid and ineffecient to the referees for not having done his job properly in the first place!

Comment

Working...
                  X