• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strategies for Handling a heavy workload in a small team

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
    Well I'm telling the truth anyway LOL.
    Thanks for all the replies, the response on here to problems is so impressive.
    I am working typically 8.30 to 6.15 with an hour for lunch. Every 6 weeks I'm on 'Rota' monitoring the end of day (batch) so more like 9 to 8.30 with a 2nd meal break of about 1/2 hr.
    Colleague is similar.
    Team leader working more like 9-9 every day, sometimes 9-11.

I am getting some data from a former colleague tomorrow in a similar set up where they are properly resourced.
    Then we all plan to sit down with the PM to discuss what we can do now, what the other team in former co. is able to do by comparison and then effectively say - your call...
    I'd love to do the head in a bucket but I'm still 10 years odd from retirement - so something to look forward to in 2022ish!
    Xux,

Fair does you sounds like a conscientious guy but, mate, their taking the piss.

Your doing by my calcs almost an hour extra pretty much every day. Dont get me wrong I will work extra now and again but not every day like this.

As for the late thing, yeh, I'd do it but that day you'd see me arrive in the office at midday.

What do you think would happen if you did this out of interest? i.e. left at 5-30pm or strolled in at 12pm?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

The term professional day applies. An hour extra is not taking the pee really, but is the limit I'd draw... for many that's a normal working day anyway.

You could say you'll work more for overtime but you might not want to do that anyway.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        The term professional day applies. An hour extra is not taking the pee really, but is the limit I'd draw... for many that's a normal working day anyway.

You could say you'll work more for overtime but you might not want to do that anyway.
        The term professional working day in my mind is 7.5 hours with added flexibility of say 3 more hours in a week when required.

Beyond that I would be out the door as there are other things I need to do in my life (living it is one of them).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

A 7.5 working day is totally culturally specific to the UK... even in the UK many jobs run 40 hour weeks but elsewhere 35 or 32 are the norm. You have to show flexibility, you're there to get the work done, not work a fixed number of hours.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A 7.5 working day is totally culturally specific to the UK... even in the UK many jobs run 40 hour weeks but elsewhere 35 or 32 are the norm. You have to show flexibility, you're there to get the work done, not work a fixed number of hours.
            A line has to be drawn somewhere.

For me, the line is 7.5 hours per day, or slightly more if I have agreed up front.

On occasion, I will work extra without worrying about getting paid extra. If it is my **** up, I definitely will fix it by working extra.

As soon as it becomes the norm, they are taking the piss. They are trying to get more out of you than the price quoted.

If they tell me up front at interview, yep, we'll pay you X and we expect you to work 9 hour days, it is up to me to agree.

I can't picture any scenario where I'd agree to that short of doubling my normal rates.

Comment

OP is working almost 9 hours EVERY day. Its the EVERY thing that is an issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                The term professional working day in my mind is 7.5 hours with added flexibility of say 3 more hours in a week when required.

Beyond that I would be out the door as there are other things I need to do in my life (living it is one of them).
                EXACTLY. My life is WAY more important than the clients issues.

Comment

Yeh. Agreed. Be flexible if and when required like occasionally if something goes wrong or something needs doing urgently (but then I expect same flexibility in return).

But what OP is describing is a blatant under resourcing and the client taking the piss and trying to get extras fro free.

Comment

Working...
                  X