• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Review

Hi,
    I am looking to start my first contract and have received my first draft contract from the agency. Reading through the contract, it looks like that it covers all the IR35 rules. I wanted to know if it's advisable that I should get it professionally reviewed provided it's my fist contract.

Hmm. Tricky one. Let's see. Entering into an agreement with another company, worth thousands of pounds. If it turns out it is subject to IR35, and I (not a contract or IR35 expert) thought it wasn't, I'm going to have pay over a considerably sum to HMRC.

Does the term "no brainer" mean anything to you?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy View Post
      Hi,
      I am looking to start my first contract and have received my first draft contract from the agency. Reading through the contract, it looks like that it covers all the IR35 rules. I wanted to know if it's advisable that I should get it professionally reviewed provided it's my fist contract.
      Yes..I would suggest getting it reviewed by Bucket, Fanny & Co
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy View Post
        Hi,
        Yes get it professionally reviewed but also make sure that it is representative of your working practises
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Agree with Lisa, especially regarding the working practices. Quite often what is written in the contract is not reflective of how you, or your client, operate on a day to day basis, and that's what HMRC will be checking

Comment

You could also try searching the forums before asking basic questions. Every post we have (and that is a lot!!!) advises exactly the same.

NAT kinda nails it though.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Yes get it professionally reviewed but also make sure that it is representative of your working practises
              Hi Lisa

I had my current contract reviewed at start of a contract and got a couple of clauses amended. However I haven't had the renewals reviewed. Is this something that should be done?

Cheers
              Ci

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
                Hi Lisa

I had my current contract reviewed at start of a contract and got a couple of clauses amended. However I haven't had the renewals reviewed. Is this something that should be done?

Cheers
                Ci
                Have you applied any common sense to this question?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
                  Hi Lisa

Cheers
                  Ci
                  Please refer to post by NLUK for guidance but you haven't really answered what I asked - it's great that you have had your contract reviewed but is the contract an accurate reflection of what you actually do? e.g. if you broke your leg and couldn't work for a week do you know someone who could cover for you and would that person be accepted by the end client as a replacement for you until you were well enough to return? If the answer is no but you have a perfectly worded substitution clause in the contract it would be meaningless in the event of an IR35 investigation.
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Please refer to post by NLUK for guidance but you haven't really answered what I asked - it's great that you have had your contract reviewed but is the contract an accurate reflection of what you actually do? e.g. if you broke your leg and couldn't work for a week do you know someone who could cover for you and would that person be accepted by the end client as a replacement for you until you were well enough to return? If the answer is no but you have a perfectly worded substitution clause in the contract it would be meaningless in the event of an IR35 investigation.
                    What did you ask? Maybe I should have started a new thread. I had my contract reviewed professionally when I first engaged with existing client, I am satisfied that my working practices reflect the contract. My questions was, is it good practice/advise to get the renewals professionally reviewed each time?

Comment

Working...
                    X