• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to stay if contract away from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to stay if contract away from home

I have some questions:

1. If the contract is for 6 months and away from home, Do you guys stay in hotel Monday to Friday?

2. How much do you guys spend per week, if you stay in a hotel?

3. Is it a good idea to rent a Single bedroom flat for six months and stay there?

Please reply.

Originally posted by Software View Post
    I have some questions:

1. If the contract is for 6 months and away from home, Do you guys stay in hotel Monday to Friday?

3. Is it a good idea to rent a Single bedroom flat for six months and stay there?

Please reply.
    I house share
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I house share with a guy who works away Mon-Fri.

House to myself for £350 a month.

Comment

I lodge, and try and choose people who:
        1. Work night shift so are never in when I'm in.
        2. Work away during the week so they are never in when I'm in.

That way I can cook my own meals, and not have to drag a load of stuff with me. It does mean you have to clean up after yourself.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Last few contracts that were away from home (which is most of them for me) I've managed to get all inclusive deals at reasonable prices.

On this one, I've managed to rent a 2 bed house, inclusive of all bills and utilities, for £125 a week, which is well cheaper than any of the dump hotels in Halifax.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I have some questions:
            Check out the sticky in General. normally it's not a very serious discussion in that part of the forum but there may be some useful tips from people who have been there done that.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I have some questions:

Please reply.
              Not a hotel - only for the first week or two until I get a longer term rental. A flat is cheaper than a hotel, but a room in someone's house is even cheaper. You still get use of a full house, plus the benefit of not being stuck with you and the TV for company. Plus you can always go to your own room if you don't like them, LOL.
              Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

I have some questions:

Please reply.
                I once stayed in hotel mon to fri for 21 months when working away. Then decided I'd rent next time so, got a modern quasi terrace for 6 months. Was going to renew the lease but the owner wanted to move back in so back in a hotel for a while.

Next, I rented a very nice ground floor apartment for a year. Nearly bought it from the landlord too. Wish I had because it was in an ideal location.

Obvious benefits of renting is you have your own space and dont have to pack \ unpack every monday & friday. Legal minimum rent period is 6 months so if your contract gets canned early, unless you have an understanding landlord, you still have to pay the lease.

If you want to stay in a hotel, you have to book in advance to get the best deals. Obviously this isnt possible at the beginning of a contract so you have to take the full hit for the first 4 to 6 weeks before the advance booking kicks in.

Im personally not a fan of late rooms since these are literally one off deals and I like to know where Im staying before I get there.

How much you spend depends what part of the country you are working in. If you pay peanuts, you'll generally get poor accommodation. So, in northern towns and cities, I'd suggest if you're paying less than 50 quid a night for bed & breakfast, the place will likely be a dump or out in the sticks miles from anywhere.

Flat \ roomshares, not my idea of fun. Things go missing, people dont pay their way and all sorts of aggrevation (sp?) which I dont want if staying away.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I work from home Monday and Friday so renting isn't an option for me.

I spend my 2 nights a week in a cheap but clean B&B, much less than a hotel but I share facilities.

It depends on your own cost/benefit analysis I suppose.

(But re: Late Rooms, I use that because I got a good deal from my B&B by paying the same amount I paid via LR directly to them, they got the commission that they would have paid to LR).
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    I once stayed in hotel mon to fri for 21 months when working away. Then decided I'd rent next time so, got a modern quasi terrace for 6 months. Was going to renew the lease but the owner wanted to move back in so back in a hotel for a while.

Next, I rented a very nice ground floor apartment for a year. Nearly bought it from the landlord too. Wish I had because it was in an ideal location.

Obvious benefits of renting is you have your own space and dont have to pack \ unpack every monday & friday. Legal minimum rent period is 6 months so if your contract gets canned early, unless you have an understanding landlord, you still have to pay the lease.

If you want to stay in a hotel, you have to book in advance to get the best deals. Obviously this isnt possible at the beginning of a contract so you have to take the full hit for the first 4 to 6 weeks before the advance booking kicks in.

Im personally not a fan of late rooms since these are literally one off deals and I like to know where Im staying before I get there.

How much you spend depends what part of the country you are working in. If you pay peanuts, you'll generally get poor accommodation. So, in northern towns and cities, I'd suggest if you're paying less than 50 quid a night for bed & breakfast, the place will likely be a dump or out in the sticks miles from anywhere.

Flat \ roomshares, not my idea of fun. Things go missing, people dont pay their way and all sorts of aggrevation (sp?) which I dont want if staying away.
                    I have a business account with Travelodge; 99% of cities in the UK have one, so no problem finding them. Advance booking means you can get the rooms for peanuts (£19/night), so after the first few weeks of paying full whack, like you state, the cost becomes quite bearable. Only problem is eating in restaurants/takeaways every night...

I dislike house/flat shares for the exact same reasons you just mentioned...

Comment

Working...
                    X