• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice numbering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Never yet had a satisfactory answer to this one. Personally I treat the agency invoice as a remittance advice - which it is, functionally - and raise my own correctly numbered invoice in parallel. The self-billing rules (which weren't written for continual supply of services, only widgets, but hey...) say you don't submit invoices, it doesn't say you can't use your own tracking mechanism.
    This what I do and attach the self-billed invoice to my invoice (which I don't send out). Both are then reconciled.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      This what I do and attach the self-billed invoice to my invoice (which I don't send out). Both are then reconciled.
      I use a unique sequence for each client that I bill, and just enter the invoice number from self-billing if I use that. It may be an issue if another self-billing system clashes with one I've already used, but I'll deal with that if it ever happens.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I started at 1 and now I'm at 50. I'm not confused.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          I have to wonder if any of you guys have ever worked for a proper company or used a computer based financial system. I have never experienced anyone having suffixes or prefixes to denote client.

Your first invoice is 00001, then comes 00002. Its really easy.
          Look at your phone bill: BT uses AA 9999 9999 A999 - the first 10 are your account number, the next letter is the type of bill (Q for Quarterly, M for Monthly, etc) and then the last 3 are sequential from your previous bill, starting with I001 (I for Initial). Vodafone uses your account number followed by .000001 continuing sequentially. These are but two examples.

For a smaller concern, you absolutely don't want clients knowing you're issuing only a few invoices, for a large concern, it's the same issue but for the opposite reason!

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
          My accountant says not.

They recomended keeping all issued invoices as is, but then for each client switch to a sequential number for the next invoice.

Apparantly (accoring to my accountant) this rule exists so that if you get investigated, they can tell at a glance if any invoices have gone missing...
          DO NOT renumber them, but you could start a new sequence to continue as you mean to go on. Any query can be easily calmed with a simple explanation of the problem you anticipated and how your new system will avoid it. (This MUST be a RARE occurrence - more than once or twice ever is likely to cause further investigation!)

Comment

Start with 000001 and go to 000002 and so on.

On the file name I put the initials of the client, but not on the actual invoice number, but then I just use an excel spreadsheet invoice format, so I can keep things simple.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Never yet had a satisfactory answer to this one. Personally I treat the agency invoice as a remittance advice - which it is, functionally - and raise my own correctly numbered invoice in parallel. The self-billing rules (which weren't written for continual supply of services, only widgets, but hey...) say you don't submit invoices, it doesn't say you can't use your own tracking mechanism.
              Strictly speaking the supplier (you) raises invoices and what you get from the purchaser is a purchase order, and it makes sense to put the PO number on your invoice. It doesn't matter that the agency doesn't require you to submit the invoices month to month, but you could submit the invoices in the event of a dispute. Never done self billing, but if I did that's how I'd treat it.

I just started from 1 and counted up.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinT View Post
                For a smaller concern, you absolutely don't want clients knowing you're issuing only a few invoices,
                ~snip~
                DO NOT renumber them, but you could start a new sequence to continue as you mean to go on. Any query can be easily calmed with a simple explanation of the problem you anticipated and how your new system will avoid it. (This MUST be a RARE occurrence - more than once or twice ever is likely to cause further investigation!)
                Take off your tin foil cap and stop resurrecting zombie threads.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Take off your tin foil cap and stop resurrecting zombie threads.
                  I'll be keeping an eye on ColinT...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

When you're on the bench like I am, invoice numbering is the least of your concerns!

Comment

I number my invoices with a GUID

Comment

Working...
                      X