• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice numbering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoice numbering

Hey guys,

Currently I am numbering my invoices sequentially, but changing letters at the beginning depending on the client. (as per myaccountants suggestion when I first started trading).
    Example:
    ABC0123
    XYZ0124
    XYZ0125
    XYZ0126
    XYZ0127
    ABC0128

But this is rather confusing, would it not be possible to include the letters as part of the unique invoice number??
    Example:
    ABC0123
    ABC0124
    XYZ0001
    XYZ0002
    XYZ0003
    DEF0001

My accountant is pointing me here HM Revenue & Customs: VAT invoices: what they must show

and saying that the invoice must be unique and follow on from the number of the previous invoice..

What do you guys do? It's confusing having non client specific invoice numbers.

Thanks

The numbers must follow on - I got a slap off NW for not doing so! Easier to conform and stay below the radar....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      The numbers must follow on - I got a slap off NW for not doing so! Easier to conform and stay below the radar....
      Ooops I did Mehmeh did and started at 001, will change them to 001-Client1Ref, 002-Client1Ref, 003-Cleint2Ref.

Would it be best to go back and renumber them, even if you don't send the new one to old clients?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I just number my invoices with number of month, year and a sequential number within the month. For example, 07/2012/001, 07/2012/002 etc.

When I had a retail company delaing with public and account customers, the Sage package we used just numbered over the counter invoices \ receipts 001/month/year with account customers being similar but preceeded with 4 or 5 letter abbreviation of their name, so ABCDE/001/07/2012
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
          What do you guys do? It's confusing having non client specific invoice numbers.
          I just number my invoices sequentially.

I'm really puzzled, why does it confuse you?
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
            would it not be possible to include the letters as part of the unique invoice number??
            Example:
            ABC0123
            ABC0124
            XYZ0001
            XYZ0002
            XYZ0003
            DEF0001

My accountant is pointing me here HM Revenue & Customs: VAT invoices: what they must show

and saying that the invoice must be unique and follow on from the number of the previous invoice..
            Yep, you can do that (if you really want to).

What HMRC say: "a sequential number based on one or more series which uniquely identifies the document" linky here.

Of course, it gets a bit silly if you have clients with only one or a few invoices each, and I would question your rationale for wanting to do this (even though I do the same myself), a simple serial number shouldn't be "confusing"!

<pedant>Indeed, it might be argued that your original numbering system is not compliant - it leaves 'gaps' in the numbering for each client.</pedant>

Try pointing your accountant at the original HMRC notice: Changes to VAT invoicing with effect from October 2007

PDF linky here, see page 5.

Does the invoice number series have to be numerical, or can it include letters?

The ‘invoice number’ can be numerical, or it can be a combination of numbers and letters, as long as it forms part of a unique and sequential series.

In order to avoid the appearance of having only just started in business I do not want to start at Invoice no.1 and would prefer to commence with, say, Invoice no 1135. Is this allowed?

Yes, as long as the invoice series runs consecutively from that point.

I currently use a unique customer reference number as the identifying number on the invoice. If I add an additional consecutive number will this be acceptable?

Yes, this would have the affect of creating a unique and sequential series.

I have several customers and I wish to run several separate sequences of invoices at the same time. Is this possible?

Yes, it is acceptable to operate more than one sequence at the same time.

My business operates as several separate business units or divisions. Is it possible for each unit or division to operate its own sequence of invoices?

Yes, it is acceptable to operate more than one sequence at the same time.

What if there is a break in sequence, for example where I cancel an invoice or it is spoiled and never issued to a customer?

As long as you retain the cancelled or spoiled invoice in your accounting records, or you can provide an explanation for the break in sequence, this is acceptable.

Comment

I am numbering my invoices sequentially but until today I wasn't aware that this was a legal requirement. I guess the forum is useful after all

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                We do recommend that our clients complete sequential numbering. The main reason would be for us to ensure that we have all of your invoices and are not missing any when preparing reports on your behalf.

If you were to use a prefix or suffix and these change between contracts we wouldn't necessarily be able to identify if we have received all invoices for that particular engagement.

For example BT001 can be used for one contract then moving to another BAR001 we wouldn't know if BT008 was the last invoice that we should have!

Comment

FFS...how to complicate something simple...
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

This is an interesting question as my main contract is self-billed and the agent creates an invoice number, however when I work direct I have my own invoice sequence, is this an issue?
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X