• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truth or lie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gables View Post
    +1 for Chimpmaster... this was my position in february 2007, I'd left IT to start a retail business in feb 2002. Whilst it generated profit it wasn't providing the lifestyle we wanted so we closed down. It goes on the CV with the learnings regarding customer service, managing product\finances, people skills...

That was feb 2007, I took on a wee 6 month bike related project run by the council whilst I looked for work.

It was indicated that it might be a struggle to get back into IT as things move very fast, change blah blah blah.. anyway 5 job interviews later and I was back in IT started Decmember 2007 and I found that things hadn't really moved on THAT much.. but then I did keep track of what was happening in IT whilst running the shop...
    Interesting that. I work in IT and have done so non-stop for years, but don't bother keeping up to date on the latest trends any more. I lost interest at the grid-computing stage and even today I don't see the point of cloud technology. It's just smoke & mirrors, or at least that's what I think, because I can see how much crap is piled onto more crap and the glued onto even more crap to make these things work.

IT - bah!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Interesting that. I work in IT and have done so non-stop for years, but don't bother keeping up to date on the latest trends any more. I lost interest at the grid-computing stage and even today I don't see the point of cloud technology. It's just smoke & mirrors, or at least that's what I think, because I can see how much crap is piled onto more crap and the glued onto even more crap to make these things work.

IT - bah!
      I am exactly the same and struggle to bother with this technology even though it is on the periphery of what I am doing now. Thing is I do think it is useful to keep up with the buzz words, however crap it is, same as corporate talk. As useless as it is you have to play the game sometimes. Conversely you get the new guys talking about stuff because it is 'buzz' and don't really have a clue. Had a young consultant loving Cloud Computing and how it is the new thing when people start to use it they will see. I pointed out to him anyone with a Hotmail account has used it and he tried to argue that wasn't Cloud computer. Major facepalm moment.

I should really make more of an effort to take an interest though.

If the OP has been out of tech for so long the buzz words could definitely help.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I am exactly the same and struggle to bother with this technology even though it is on the periphery of what I am doing now. Thing is I do think it is useful to keep up with the buzz words, however crap it is, same as corporate talk. As useless as it is you have to play the game sometimes. Conversely you get the new guys talking about stuff because it is 'buzz' and don't really have a clue. Had a young consultant loving Cloud Computing and how it is the new thing when people start to use it they will see. I pointed out to him anyone with a Hotmail account has used it and he tried to argue that wasn't Cloud computer. Major facepalm moment.

I should really make more of an effort to take an interest though.

If the OP has been out of tech for so long the buzz words could definitely help.
        Honestly? Cloud computing is not just merely hosting mail servers on the cloud. I seriously suggest a quick read of Amazon EC, S3 and lately Microsoft Azure. The cost saving for the end client who shift to cloud is tremendous. I have been a Cloud Evangelist for last few years. Though it started as a big client's buzz words, I have seen smaller companies shift their IT operations to the cloud lately. I would recommend "Join the train".

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
          Honestly? Cloud computing is not just merely hosting mail servers on the cloud. I seriously suggest a quick read of Amazon EC, S3 and lately Microsoft Azure. The cost saving for the end client who shift to cloud is tremendous. I have been a Cloud Evangelist for last few years. Though it started as a big client's buzz words, I have seen smaller companies shift their IT operations to the cloud lately. I would recommend "Join the train".

Dave.
          Great stuff. I will add it to my To Do List

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Great stuff. I will add it to my To Do List
            After number 37: learn portuguese?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              After number 37: learn portuguese?
              and 38 : Pull own toenails out with pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post

Dave.

Cloud computing is soooo last year. Big DATA is the new buzz word.

Buzz words become important if you want your CV identified by automated keyword matching applications used by all kinds of recruiters these days.

Comment

Working...
                X