• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New User...Looking for a direction/assistance on a Database concept

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User...Looking for a direction/assistance on a Database concept

I have a database .com domain and I would like to eventually make it work.
    The business was once tried and the web developer made a fragile platform and was completely unstable with his own code also 9 months late, which I still have and the website can be loaded to view and some functionality works.
    The website design/interface (it looks ok) was made by an American colleague and it was to be in Chinese and English. The content of the website was to go into a publication in both languages. The initial database content the developer provided, I found later was illegal.
    The platform was to be completely automated and all added content could be checked/edited/approved/deleted prior to the information going live, from the back end system.

Now, I would like to get the website up and allow it to build momentum.
    The site we still have a copy of the original flimsy code that is worthless and about 20k worth included,
    Registration and Profile which attached to the following
    Database
    Classifieds
    Mapping
    HR
    News
    Events
    Messaging
    Back end system for editing and insertion approval

Let us know what you think or perhaps where I could find fitting help

I have absolutely no idea what you are asking.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Surely moving from an idea to a business relies on the businessman having some nouse and enough about him to go find the answers he needs so can grow it. Having an idea and then wanting everyone else to make it work for you isn't really going to cut it....

Actually writing a brief or a request for help that makes sense would be a bloody good start lol
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDB View Post
        Here you go, you can get what you want here.....

Fitting help
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The business was once tried and the web developer made a fragile platform and was completely unstable with his own code also 9 months late, which I still have and the website can be loaded to view and some functionality works.
          The website design/interface (it looks ok) was made by an American colleague and it was to be in Chinese and English. The content of the website was to go into a publication in both languages. The initial database content the developer provided, I found later was illegal.
          The platform was to be completely automated and all added content could be checked/edited/approved/deleted prior to the information going live, from the back end system.

The site we still have a copy of the original flimsy code that is worthless and about 20k worth included,
          Database
          Classifieds
          Mapping
          HR
          News
          Events
          Messaging

Long story short - it seems liked you - or the people you hired - screwed up. It's impossible for us to know who was responsible.

My advice? Hire a good web site consultant (and not just a javascript/html jockey.) It sounds like you want a CMS storing content in a db which can then be viewed/approved and then automatically published to a web site. That's pretty much bread-and-butter stuff to most of us on here.

Like I said, hire a decent, skilled person with a good track record and you'll be up-n-running in no time. Just be prepared to pay the right sort of money for the right kind of person (£20k would get you about 4 weeks, no more, of a decent freelance consultants time, BTW.)

Or go to India. Plenty cheapness (but you may not be happy with the result, just like you aren't now...)
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Database
            Classifieds
            Mapping
            HR
            News
            Events
            Messaging

My guess is that you are looking for a contractor/business that can assist you in getting back on track. If that is the case, then I guess, there are quite a few people here who can help you including me. PM me if that is the case, and we can have a chat regarding what kind of budgets we might be looking at.
            There is no screwed up project, that can not be brought back to life. Albeit, sometimes, it might be a good idea to start fresh because it might be cheaper; but that can only be said after having a look at your requirements and what application was delivered by the prior developer. I would not blame the previous developer entirely for a mess, because it may probably be down to frequent changes in the initial requirements, or may be he was indeed a tulip programmer. But can't say anything right now, need more information.

HTH.
            Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Long story short - it seems liked you - or the people you hired - screwed up. It's impossible for us to know who was responsible.

My advice? Hire a good web site consultant (and not just a javascript/html jockey.) It sounds like you want a CMS storing content in a db which can then be viewed/approved and then automatically published to a web site. That's pretty much bread-and-butter stuff to most of us on here.

Like I said, hire a decent, skilled person with a good track record and you'll be up-n-running in no time. Just be prepared to pay the right sort of money for the right kind of person (£20k would get you about 4 weeks, no more, of a decent freelance consultants time, BTW.)

Or go to India. Plenty cheapness (but you may not be happy with the result, just like you aren't now...)
              What ???? 20K rupees ? £20K for 4 weeks work = 20 days work = 1000£ per day. For some CMS work if you think anybody can charge 1000 per day you must be living in cloud cuckoo land. Deduct a 0 from that day rate and you will be fine.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                What ???? 20K rupees ? £20K for 4 weeks work = 20 days work = 1000£ per day. For some CMS work if you think anybody can charge 1000 per day you must be living in cloud cuckoo land. Deduct a 0 from that day rate and you will be fine.
                I'll install Wordpress or Joomla for £999 a day. Send me a PM, or just send the money to my PayPal account and I'll do it for you.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would like to eventually make it work.
                  A noble but rather unexciting aim.

However you're in luck, "eventually making it work" is the specialty of many CUK members.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    My bad. Make that 6-8 weeks.

...Still don't think it's what the OP wanted to hear, though.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X