• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can service managers project manage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can service managers project manage?

and the other way round...

My view? NO! Service managers cant and dont understand projects. As a PM i never really got the SDM world, and the money was tulip! I prefer the PM world.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    and the other way round...

My view? NO! Service managers cant and dont understand projects. As a PM i never really got the SDM world, and the money was tulip! I prefer the PM world.
    I don't think this is strictly right. There is a Service Introduction role that sits between the both that can do service and to an extent Project Manage. They are responsible for a workstream in to the project which in large projects can be a considerable amount of work.

SDM work doesn't command the same as more senior PM's I will agree but it isn't tulip by any means.

TBH this attitude is exactly why projects never make in to BAU smoothly and has been a problem in IT for day one. Maybe 'getting' Service would help your projects to full BAU, problem is you guys are never around to see it. Queue huge argument between Service guys being left with a pile of utter bollox when the project has been disbanded......
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Plenty of money from where I'm sitting.

I'm a SM BA who has been specifically brought into the dev side by a client to fix the cock-ups that throwing things over the fence causes.

And because it's Agile I'll be bringing in the SM's from day 1, not the day before Go-Live.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        And because it's Agile I'll be bringing in the SM's from day 1, not the day before Go-Live.
        Ahhh what a beautiful world that must be. Spent 12 years trying to do that. As SI contractor I get brought in to put it in service with not a hint of a project around and zero budget... Ho hummmm

Gizza job!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X