• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client's team size and business domain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client's team size and business domain

Hi,

I have been to an interview recently with a client. The client has very small development team and the business domain also not very appealing (i.e. less challenging.). The business is also very small. I have been asked very few tech. questions. I am wondering how important these things are for future contract point of view.
    If potential client see that you worked in a small team and the project you work on was also not very challenging, do they take it negatively? Or it does not matter where you work as long as you have worked with latest technologies and have right skill set?
    Also how important is it for you that your line manager be technically competent? The way I see it is that you will learn a lot from people who are senior then you. But that may be because I have been permie. up till now. Is it different in contracting?

ta

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
    Hi,

I have been to an interview recently with a client. The client has very small development team and the business domain also not very appealing (i.e. less challenging.). The business is also very small. I have been asked very few tech. questions. I am wondering how important these things are for future contract point of view.
    If potential client see that you worked in a small team and the project you work on was also not very challenging, do they take it negatively? Or it does not matter where you work as long as you have worked with latest technologies and have right skill set?
    Also how important is it for you that your line manager be technically competent? The way I see it is that you will learn a lot from people who are senior then you. But that may be because I have been permie. up till now. Is it different in contracting?

ta
    No it is exactly the same as permie and he asks you tech questions for the fun of it...

You are taken on as an expert in your field who is skilled and competent to do the role that is placed on table infront of him with your eyes shut. You will be ready to hit the ground running when you start on day one and guide the client in to doing the right thing (i.e. being a consultant). He may look to you as a subject expert to fix his problems and answer his questions.

There is no learning (to a certain extent but generally), ramping up, training, being another body in the office. If you can't do the job you were brought in for you will be looking at a very quick and undignified exit.

Not sure what the question about the manager is about though? Depends on what his role is, maybe he wants you in to cover the fact he isn't.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm not so sure about no learning - I learn something from every contract (probably every day), which is what maintains my value in an evolving marketplace.

As for smaller businesses, in my experience, they offer more opportunities. Grab the tasks that take your fancy and run with them, after all there's probably nobody there who can tell you you are wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by notcutouttobeacontractor View Post
        What are you putting on your CV that prospective client will know the size of the project team and whether it was challenging or not?? I'd suggest that you might want to think carefully about how you present your work if this is something that a future client might be even aware of.

One of my current projects isn't the most exciting or challenging pieces of work I've ever done, and I work in a team of one. However, I'm pretty sure that I can explain in detail about what I contributed when I'm looking for work in the future.

Originally posted by notcutouttobeacontractor View Post
        You don't have a line manager. You have a client contact. That might be someone who is technical, it might be someone who is functional, it might be someone neither. It might be a permie or it might be another contractor. If you need someone around you to teach you, then you might be better off as a permie. I've picked up a few tips here and there from my peers, never from my client contact - generally they are the PM so have no skills whatsoever that I want to pick up.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Yehudi View Post
          I'm not so sure about no learning - I learn something from every contract (probably every day), which is what maintains my value in an evolving marketplace.
          This is true but the OP looks like he is expecting to learn something as a permie would. Once you are in you can do a whole host of things to help youself but you cannot go in to a contract expecting to further knowledge or even in this case come in not knowing fully what you are doing and be 'trained up'.

As for smaller businesses, in my experience, they offer more opportunities. Grab the tasks that take your fancy and run with them, after all there's probably nobody there who can tell you you are wrong...
          I would also agree with this. You get a better chance to run with interesting stuff. If you can provide and opportunity to your client that helps them they won't turn it down. You also get better visibility and ownership of the whole process that you wouldn't get if you were another body doing very defined and rigid tasks.

The only thing I would say about smaller companies is it can be tougher as your lack of ability or input will stand out more when everyone else is knuckling down. You can disappear in a larger outfit.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As a consultant I expect to pass a few of my skills on them, not the other way around.

If you want training and hand-holding stay permie.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What are you putting on your CV that prospective client will know the size of the project team and whether it was challenging or not?? I'd suggest that you might want to think carefully about how you present your work if this is something that a future client might be even aware of.
              Thats a good point. I will defintely think about how I put details on my CV. I usually put abstract project information (without identifying any company or person) so that it gives information to the client about the actual things I have done. This approach may be giving away too much information without any real advantages.

When I say learning, it definately does not mean holding hands. Even as permie, if I have been given enough permission/time I try to do things by myself. What mean was that there is always something that you dont know and the person next to you may do. and you can learn and improve your KB. Usually that person is your tech lead or your line manager (it could very well be your co-worker). Its good to be surrounded by people with good skills.

I would also agree with this. You get a better chance to run with interesting stuff. If you can provide and opportunity to your client that helps them they won't turn it down. You also get better visibility and ownership of the whole process that you wouldn't get if you were another body doing very defined and rigid tasks.

The only thing I would say about smaller companies is it can be tougher as your lack of ability or input will stand out more when everyone else is knuckling down. You can disappear in a larger outfit.
              It means I need to be more proactive then if I would in a large team environment with lots of skilled people.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                As a consultant I expect to pass a few of my skills on them, not the other way around.

If you want training and hand-holding stay permie.
                I prefer not to do that, unless the contract is specifically looking for that.

Comment

Working...
                X