• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of .Net Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of .Net Market

Answering my own question here really.

I have a benchmark test that I use; I go into Jobserve & do a search for C# contracts. Pre 2008, I'd get around 900 results. At the height of the slump, it got down to just under 300. Did a search yesterday & I got 390 matches .

Looks pretty bad in other words. Just wondering if this is bearing out in the real world. Any .netters out there struggling to find work?

I only ask because my current contract ends in April. They may extend but it has turned into a support role where I'm spending all my time doing data fixes on a live system. As much fun as poking needles in your eyes and I want out.

I have a similar test for my skillset on itjobswatch.

Height around 80+ advertised, now its mid 20s. Edit : Just checked and its 27 today.

The lowest I saw it during the slump was 9.

Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Same here. For 'SQL' contracts what was 800+ once is now down to about 350 search results returned.

Comment

It doesn't look great although for a few of the jobs that are live and paying well the agents are hassling me to show an interest.

I'm rather more interested in my plan b at the moment so I'm not rushing to take anything on.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Does anyone feel the relative lack of contracts is being somewhat balanced out by a reduced number of contractors out there? I mean, surely these last 2 years have meant that there are much fewer 'cowboy' contractors jumping on and off every 3 months?

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
            Does anyone feel the relative lack of contracts is being somewhat balanced out by a reduced number of contractors out there? I mean, surely these last 2 years have meant that there are much fewer 'cowboy' contractors jumping on and off every 3 months?
            And where exactly are you getting the facts regarding reduced number of contractors????
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              I go into Jobserve & do a search for C# contracts. Pre 2008, I'd get around 900 results. At the height of the slump, it got down to just under 300. Did a search yesterday & I got 390 matches .
              Pretty much the same thing as I'm seeing on the Java side of things.

Still, it's Feb., and a lot of I.T. Depts. are usually arguing their budgets this time of year. I'd wait until mid-April (at least) to see what picture appears. If it's still quiet in June - panic!
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
                Same here. For 'SQL' contracts what was 800+ once is now down to about 350 search results returned.
                Yep - I noticed the same, it is really bad out there at the moment. I haven't seen any half decent MS BI contracts in the North West since December.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  And where exactly are you getting the facts regarding reduced number of contractors????
                  Don't have them as facts, just wondering out loud whether contractors who pre-2009 might have been more cavalier jumping in and out of the contract market might now be more likely to have knuckled down to long-term more stable situations (whether perm or contract).

?

Comment

It's definitely hard out there. I'm getting interviews still but my friend the old 'problem solving' question is scr3wing me most every time. Two more interviews this week lined up, one for a very big rate. Hopefully I'll get a break this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X