• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming up with a viable plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming up with a viable plan B

Uni > Permie > Contracting > Plan B > Retirement

That seems like the natural progression ladder for people who have the "courage" to jump into contracting. I have been stressing over trying to come up with a good idea for a plan B but I feel like I am banging my head against the wall. Firstly whenever I come up with an idea (e.g. website/app) I find it has already been done so that goes out of the window. Secondly when I do come up with an idea which I can do I realise I don't have the marketing brain/personality/drive to go out and do it. The question is do I wait for something to come to me or do I go out there and try to do something.

How does one go about coming up with an idea that they really believe in and executing it? This is where I am now at.....

Brainstorm interests/skills/capabilities/hobbies/what makes you tick or want to get out of bed in the morning, mindmap, compartmentalise, rank 1,2,3,4, discuss with other half, research locally, is anyone else doing it, etc.
    Then go back a few days later, adjust. Research market needs, costs, etc. Is there something which someone is doing which you could offer but with enhancements, USPs, etc.
    After that, putting it into a potential business plan is also good for making realisations and a reality check. Useful exercise to put yourself through. Need to bounce it off others though - those you trust.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

This might sound defeatist or even condescending, but not everyone is smart enough to come up with a great idea that, once implemented, will bring them in loads of cash (or even a nice little income).

I know I'm not!

So don't stress about it.

And before every jumps on me, I'm not saying people shouldn't try, or shouldn't have ambition etc.

Comment

Basically it comes down to doing something better than what someone else is doing in the market. The key benefit with this is that there is a proven market out there. Or alternatively, you can invent something that no one else has. For this you either need a bit luck (for e.g. Steve Jobs got the idea for a mouse while visiting Xerox one day) or do extensive market research to find a niche.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Uni > Permie > Contracting > Plan B > Retirement

That seems like the natural progression ladder for people who have the "courage" to jump into contracting. I have been stressing over trying to come up with a good idea for a plan B but I feel like I am banging my head against the wall. Firstly whenever I come up with an idea (e.g. website/app) I find it has already been done so that goes out of the window. Secondly when I do come up with an idea which I can do I realise I don't have the marketing brain/personality/drive to go out and do it. The question is do I wait for something to come to me or do I go out there and try to do something.

How does one go about coming up with an idea that they really believe in and executing it? This is where I am now at.....
          Just because someone else has done it, it doesn't mean they have the same USP as you do. What do you have to offer that the bloke / lady next door can't possibly offer? If you are able to find your USP, what is stopping you from exploiting that for your own good?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

As Duncan Bananatime said, he's never invented anything, created anything etc. he's just thought if there's something that could be done better then gone after that.

I went through a phase of trying to come up with something original and realised I didn't have an original bone in my body. Slightly less depressing that realising I was never going to amount to anything at sport either.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
              As Duncan Bananatime said, he's never invented anything, created anything etc. he's just thought if there's something that could be done better then gone after that.

I went through a phase of trying to come up with something original and realised I didn't have an original bone in my body. Slightly less depressing that realising I was never going to amount to anything at sport either.
              Original ideas don't work as you need the right time and place. There is nothing wrong in building a better mouse trap provided you're reason for doing so is not price and you are interested in it.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I like the brainstroming and self analysis bit (above) but if like some u don't have a creative bent then you're buggered and end up replicating something that's already out there, albeit with some fine tuning/embelishment of sorts. Are u thinking of something service or physical product related, or haven't u got that far?

Comment

same position in op, have a few ideas but its taking that plunge.

benched next week so may just have to explore these ideas!

Comment

Maybe the OP should concentrate on accepting contract offers paying him '£85' a day more than his current rate instead of turning them down, no?
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X