• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice for First contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice for First contract

I am right now interviewing with a client for a contract position (my 1st); the 3rd party involved here is the recruiter. There is no agency in between. So, I am not sure who will provide me the contract letter if I am selected. How does it work- after the offer should I approach an umbrella who will put me on their payroll and then bill the client directly? I am unsure what to ask the recruiter or the client during the contract paperwork stage.

Originally posted by Sid View Post
    I am right now interviewing with a client for a contract position (my 1st); the 3rd party involved here is the recruiter. There is no agency in between. So, I am not sure who will provide me the contract letter if I am selected. How does it work- after the offer should I approach an umbrella who will put me on their payroll and then bill the client directly? I am unsure what to ask the recruiter or the client during the contract paperwork stage.
    So you're going contracting with zero idea of how it all works then. Well that bodes well for the future...

There's a guide over on the right of the page. There's a more detailed one at www.pcg.org.uk. Read them both, then see what still you need to ask.

Meanwhile, what is the recruiter if it isn't an agency of some kind?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

What do you mean by "the 3rd party involved here is the recruiter. There is no agency in between"??

Comment

right now? How did they react to you posting on an internet forum during the interview?

It depends on the client, it may be possible to invoice them directly, some may want an umbrella/ltd co.

As Mal said read the first timers guides, here, PCG and I'm sure there must be others.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

The umbrella company becomes your employer and therefore they will have a business to business contract with the client and you will working under a contract of employment with the umbrella company. You will need to give the umbrella company details of hours/days worked and they will raise an invoice to the client.

HTH
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            The umbrella company becomes your employer and therefore they will have a business to business contract with the client and you will working under a contract of employment with the umbrella company. You will need to give the umbrella company details of hours/days worked and they will raise an invoice to the client.

HTH
            Ok, so do I approach an umbrella only after i agree the contract terms and conditions with the client (e.g., no. of hrs, daily rate,start date, duration etc.)

Comment

Ok, so do I approach an umbrella only after i agree the contract terms and conditions with the client (e.g., no. of hrs, daily rate,start date, duration etc.)
              And the umbrella takes a week to set up and the client finds someone else... Way to go.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nope you can pretty much sign up to an umbrella company before you agree the contract
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

A word to the wise there are some umbrella companies you should most definitely avoid. Do a search on the forum.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

I am unsure what to ask the recruiter or the client during the contract paperwork stage.
                    Don't ask the client!

BTW probably better to have posted this in first timers where you would have got a more friendly response.

Comment

Working...
                    X