• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector Contracts

I've been put forward for what seems like a great contract with the NHS.
    Good rate and long term while still close to home.
    A few conversations I've had with people suggest that public sector contracts can be akin to CV suicide though.....that is, if I ever wanted to work back in the private sector.

Does anyone on here have experience of that? In my opinion it shouldn't but real life may differ. This would be my first ever foray into the public sector as either contract or perm.
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

I can see why this might be the case in permie-dom but in theory should it apply to the freelance world? I suppose it can help afterwards as showing that you can integrate/work into any bus. environment?

I'd be interested to find out about this one.

Comment

Not the case for contractors. I personally tend to do 2-3 years in finance, then take a public sector gig for a holiday.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

If you can hack working with Civil Serpents and their whinging as well as get used to the slow pace go for it
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
          Not the case for contractors. I personally tend to do 2-3 years in finance, then take a public sector gig for a holiday.
          WV8S
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            If you can hack working with Civil Serpents and their whinging as well as get used to the slow pace go for it
            Spot on, I personally have never had any issue going from public to private and back again infact a lot of the Public sector roles are run by outsourcers anyway

Comment

I have contracted both Public and Private, no harm to have both on your CV just be prepared for a shock when you return to real work after!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Biggest shock of my life when I was a permie was going from public to private sector, what a change of pace
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  Spot on, I personally have never had any issue going from public to private and back again infact a lot of the Public sector roles are run by outsourcers anyway
                  WHS.

Most of my recent work has been central government, mainly because that's where the bigger projects in my area have been. But I flit between public and private sector - rarely directly into the public sector though, mainly through Fujitsu, IBM, Steria etc.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

We get a lot of questions about people thinking about moving in to NHS or public sector contracts..

Here is a search in google bringing back all the NHS questions in the business forums

NHS threads

and here is Public Sector threads

Public Sector Threads

There are a whole host of topics covered from interview techiniques in NHS/PS to the culture and all sorts. I am sure there is something for you in there.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X