• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Certified Copy of Passport: does it go out of date?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certified Copy of Passport: does it go out of date?

I'm going through the tiresome "provide agency with loads of documentation for new contract" process.

They're upset I wouldn't opt out of the agency regs and so now they are saying they want a certified copy of my passport rather than just a scan.

I've no problem with that - I chose to stay opted in and understand that means the agency needs to be more stringent on identity checks.

However, I supplied them with a certified copy of my passport that is 3 months old - i.e. the certification statement was written 3 months ago, the passport itself was and still is valid.

Agency have said this is unacceptable and they need a more recent certified copy.

Are they justified in asking for this or should I refuse?

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    I'm going through the tiresome "provide agency with loads of documentation for new contract" process.

They're upset I wouldn't opt out of the agency regs and so now they are saying they want a certified copy of my passport rather than just a scan.

I've no problem with that - I chose to stay opted in and understand that means the agency needs to be more stringent on identity checks.

However, I supplied them with a certified copy of my passport that is 3 months old - i.e. the certification statement was written 3 months ago, the passport itself was and still is valid.

Agency have said this is unacceptable and they need a more recent certified copy.

Just tell them you've met your requirements under Regulation 19 of The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 and that if they need more can they please be specific, listing the need for it as documented in the regs. Keep it professional, they're just getting huffy.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
      Just tell them you've met your requirements under Regulation 19 of The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 and that if they need more can they please be specific, listing the need for it as documented in the regs. Keep it professional, they're just getting huffy.
      Are you sure about that. Using a 3 month old document does not prove anything. Your circumstances could have changed considerable in that time.

Get them a new one like everyone else does and move on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Are you sure about that. Using a 3 month old document does not prove anything. Your circumstances could have changed considerable in that time.

I'm fairly sure his face, nationality, date and place of birth and names wouldn't have changed in that time...??

But yeah just go to the post office and get it done for £7.15
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Bet thats Project People...

Run! Run! Now !!

Comment

Aye but then it's an arbitrary timeline for an arbitrary demand. Unless they physically meet you and confirm face-to-face likenesses against an original passport then it's worthless in proving definite identity.

I accept that it's probably easier to just do it and move on but I like pushing back occasionally, especially if it's an already firm offer in the bag just waiting on final checks before you start.

Comment

Passports are valid for 10 years. I guess there is a small chance that my passport could have been confiscated in the last 3 months, but my identity, nationality or right to work can't change can they?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                But yeah just go to the post office and get it done for £7.15
                That's a good tip I didn't know - thanks for that!

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Bet thats Project People...

Run! Run! Now !!
                  No - but it rhymes with Hairy Gash...

Comment

No - but it rhymes with Hairy Gash...
                    Furry muff. Not a good start when a agency decide to treat you like their b!tch... Normally a sign of things to come.

Comment

Working...
                    X