• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Certified Copy of Passport: does it go out of date?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get what some posters are saying. The chances of something change are slim to nil but we are talking a black and white check here, not could have changed, maybe they did, possibly.. Is it correct today or not. The whole idea of the check is to get rid of the ambiguity and unknowns not add to it.

Put it this way, if you were legaly bound to check someone out would YOU accept something three months old? No way in hell I would. I want to see the evidence with the ink still wet.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I get what some posters are saying. The chances of something change are slim to nil but we are talking a black and white check here, not could have changed, maybe they did, possibly.. Is it correct today or not. The whole idea of the check is to get rid of the ambiguity and unknowns not add to it.

Put it this way, if you were legaly bound to check someone out would YOU accept something three months old? No way in hell I would. I want to see the evidence with the ink still wet.
      My passport was issued in 2005, I took a scan of it soon after for sending to an agency. Since then, I've sent the same file to probably 11-12 different agencies and had no queries at all.

I understand what you're saying but it's still pointless unless you can compare an original passport to the person standing in front of you. Either accept a scan of a valid passport or do it in person, everything else inbetween is varying degrees of wasted effort in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I see where you are coming from but if I was legally bound to check a document I wouldn't accept a photocopy with a hand written name and address scribbled on it claiming to be a solicitor or accountant.

Does anyone actually check out the identity of the person who certified it?

Ideally, you would need proof of identity of the certifier. Perhaps they could attach a copy of their passport too. Hang on, how could we be certain that id was valid? Maybe we need to get a third person to certify their passport...

The whole idea of certified documents is a complete waste of time in my view. The certification isn't even proof that it's not a fake document - all the certifier is doing is saying they saw a document and the photocopy matches. Is a forged British passport any more valid because an accountant has seen it? And if I'm going to forge a passport I might as well forge the certification too.

The government should provide an online facility for validing passports, driving licenses and other id.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          My passport was issued in 2005, I took a scan of it soon after for sending to an agency. Since then, I've sent the same file to probably 11-12 different agencies and had no queries at all.

I understand what you're saying but it's still pointless unless you can compare an original passport to the person standing in front of you. Either accept a scan of a valid passport or do it in person, everything else inbetween is varying degrees of wasted effort in my opinion.
          Agreed and I do exactly the same but the OP has something on his that shows a timeline which adds the complication. He isn't just sending a copy, it needs to be certified which is a different kettle of fish.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
            I see where you are coming from but if I was legally bound to check a document I wouldn't accept a photocopy with a hand written name and address scribbled on it claiming to be a solicitor or accountant.

Does anyone actually check out the identity of the person who certified it?
            If the person is claiming to be a solicitor, doctor, accountant, etc they should:
            1. Sign it and date it.
            2. Put their name on it in a legible form stating what their position is.
            3. Put their company stamp on it, or put their details on it - in the case of accountants it should state their professional body

You can then either go to the web and see they are on a register, or ring the body up. You can then also contact that person as most of the registers have their address on it, and if it's a business address you should be able to get their phone number very easily.

This is also one reason why anyone who is a Company Director can verify some things as well as a quick check with Companies House will reveal your contact details.

And yes I've had people do that for me and they have been checked up on as others don't believe someone can easily get a doctor in some random speciality who works in a different part of the country sign ID things for her. (They are childhood friends' whose parents live near by.)
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
              I supplied them with a certified copy of my passport that is 3 months old - i.e. the certification statement was written 3 months ago, the passport itself was and still is valid.

Agency have said this is unacceptable and they need a more recent certified copy.
              A simple scanned copy of your passport is good enough, there is no legal requirement for it to be certified. I think you are right - the agency don't give a tulip about the agency conduct regulations, the idiots are just trying to punish you for not opting out.

I would tell them where to go. If the copy is certified then it's certified for as long as the passport is in date. Tell them you will present your passport to the client on the first day on site. If they say that's still not good enough, then tell them you are going to call the client for a chat about it because you think they are just being a pain in the arse for no reason.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
              X