• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal Advice Costs From Solicitor - Do I Have To Pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Advice Costs From Solicitor - Do I Have To Pay

I approached a firm of solicitors about a problem I had and they agreed to look at this on a no obligation basis initially and provide a quote

They asked my old solicitor for the file and reviewed the papers and sent out a client engagement letter. I did not reply to this letter and they did no further work

I have no received a letter asking me to pay their costs for reviewing the file

I am in two minds as to whether to:

1) Reply back saying that we had agreed this was no obligation and no agreement was entered into

2) Ignore it and wait for them to take me to court and then tell judge what has happened

Does anyone know whether I am liable to pay these costs?

Sounds to me they are pissed off you have dicked them about and are quite rightly wanting their pound of flesh. Their business plan is obviously to do a bit of loss leading work hoping you will take it forward with them as it is too much hassle to find someone else and pay for the preparatory work. You have failed in your word to engage with them and give them a chance of earning some money so they are trying to recoup the money from you.

Witholding payment from a solicitor and waiting for him to take you to court is pretty bloody stupid if you ask me. Maybe worth it with people that can't be bothered with legal process, doing it someone who's job it is doing that is just

To be honest it sounds to me like they are being a bit cheeky and it would be possible to not have to pay this if you play it right... but bearing in mind the OP......
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
      I approached a firm of solicitors about a problem I had and they agreed to look at this on a no obligation basis initially and provide a quote

They asked my old solicitor for the file and reviewed the papers and sent out a client engagement letter. I did not reply to this letter and they did no further work

1) Reply back saying that we had agreed this was no obligation and no agreement was entered into

2) Ignore it and wait for them to take me to court and then tell judge what has happened

On the basic facts you state, either you are not telling us everything, or they have simply made a mistake.

Why would you wait and let them take you to court rather than phone them and ask them to clarify why you have been sent a bill.

How much is this bill?

Comment

It's not their bill. They've been charged by the old solicitor, who is not a party to the initial consultation fee. Pay it and move on.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          On the basic facts you state, either you are not telling us everything, or they have simply made a mistake.

Why would you wait and let them take you to court rather than phone them and ask them to clarify why you have been sent a bill.

How much is this bill?
          The bill is about two grand - They reviewed the file and prepared a conditional fee agreement.

And yes - I have stated all the facts

The solicitor who provided the file have not charged these guys anything at all - I know because I have a good relationship with the old solicitor

Comment

I would phone them and ask why you are being charged when they agreed to review the case without obligation and provide a quote. Do you have this in writing? Is there any documentation which gives an estimate of costs or any written agreement or instructions from you?

From your explanation is sounds like they haven't followed the correct procedure and may have difficulties recovering fee in court. There doesn't appear to be a clear instruction from you to proceed with the work for a £2,000 fee.

I certainly wouldn't pay given the facts.

Comment

The bill is about two grand - They reviewed the file and prepared a conditional fee agreement.

And yes - I have stated all the facts

The solicitor who provided the file have not charged these guys anything at all - I know because I have a good relationship with the old solicitor
              So you've spoken to the old solicitor. Have you spoken to the new ones??

If not, phone them and ask, and if you have documentary evidence of the "free quote" all the better.

But don't let it get to court without asking for clarification.

Comment

I know because I have a good relationship with the old solicitor
                So why were you going to a different solicitor?
                Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
                  So why were you going to a different solicitor?
                  Probably to get a second opinion.

It's allowed you know.

Though personally I think it's a waste of time if you have a good relationship with the first one.

BTW if a solicitor or anyone agrees to give you a no obligation quote you should get it in writing that it's no obligation. If you then decide you don't want to engage them just tell them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X