• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

Hi all,

Although I read this forum everyday, its my first post so please be gentle

So I have been contracting at this client for the past month now, and there is something not clicking. The first week I was not given any work, and now I am just repairing old stuff and not the new project I was promised in the interview. All that is ok, at the end of the day I am a contractor so sometimes I expect to work on unattractive things that the perms avoid or are not capable of doing. But the thing is I am getting a really bad vibe of the place and really not even looking forward to walk to their offices. I have been contracting for quite some time now, and I can say that this is the second time that this is happening. Last time about 3 years ago, I resigned after 3 months, but this time I am not sure if I can last that long. I know I should be professional about it, but sometimes its just too hard.

Last week I was also offered another opportunity at a former client, and the rate is the same as I have at the moment, and I am really willing to take this offer. However my dilemma is, what should I tell the current client and how to do it smoothly? I do not wish to leave on a bad note, which most prob will happen, and I do not wish to give the real reason of my departure. What would you experienced guys do in my situation, and also how would you get out of it?

Thanks in advance for the opinions/advice.

You really think an internet forum is the best place to ask for advice on things none of us can advise on?

Comment

well I thought all of us are contractors here, or most, and I am sure some of you have had this experience before. Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        You really think an internet forum is the best place to ask for advice on things none of us can advise on?
        +1 to this.

It seems to me a coincidence that not only do you not like your old role but hey presto, a new, better one is on the cards. I see someone that has a new toy they want to play with and all of the sudden the old one has loads of things wrong with it. That tells me the problem is in your head and if that is the case only you can fix it. To be fair it sounds to me you don't have the balls to finish the old one and the new one is the only thing that will make you happy so resign and take the new one IMO.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          +1 to this.

It seems to me a coincidence that not only do you not like your old role but hey presto, a new, better one is on the cards. I see someone that has a new toy they want to play with and all of the sudden the old one has loads of things wrong with it. That tells me the problem is in your head and if that is the case only you can fix it. To be fair it sounds to me you don't have the balls to finish the old one and the new one is the only thing that will make you happy so resign and take the new one IMO.
          Well the fact that a previous employer offered me something has helped to make my new role less interesting, I agree. But before the offer, I was already thinking that this was not the right role to have accepted. Yes the problem is in my head, in a way that its driving me nuts. The problem is to try and make the best exist as possible as I can. Thanks for the advice

Comment

If this really is a case of not just wanting to run off to familiar territory, i.e. role with previous client, and if the situation is as awkward as you say, then IMO - time to take this to your line manager.

It seems (from what you say) you are not doing the role you envisaged - as per role spec - and there's nothing worse than being sat there odd-jobbing. Some might say 'well just bill' but that doesn't hold much water, IMO, if the situation is crap. It becomes a daily grind.

It's happened to me once, and got to the stage where I was dreading going to work. The original work, which I was hired to do, didn't come on stream. Keeping it brief, I spoke to the line manager, she understood, and even apologised. We parted on good terms.

Grasp the nettle.

As for:You really think an internet forum is the best place to ask for advice on things none of us can advise on? well, 1) he was asking for advice/opinion, and 2) given the nature of the question, why can't the OP ask? Thought that was what this forum was all about. I've seen worse queries.
            Last edited by SteelyDan; 6 February 2012, 09:07.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

What do you think the chances are of the work picking up where you are?

Never ceases to amaze me the number of clients who pay all that money for a contractor and then they turn up and nothing is ready. Some places I've spent weeks with no PC, and then waiting for client to be ready.

Then again, it might never. To be honest, if it was me I'd give it a big longer and then bail for the old client if things didnt improve.

Its all well and good saying you're still billing but it can be a nightmare just sitting there bored...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                As for:You really think an internet forum is the best place to ask for advice on things none of us can advise on? well, 1) he was asking for advice/opinion, and 2) given the nature of the question, why can't the OP ask? Thought that was what this forum was all about. I've seen worse queries.
                The problem with this type of question is there are absolutely no tangibles or history. What he gets is pure conjecture and is next to useless to the OP. He will be looking for an answer he wants to hear and will go with that which is worse than him making his own decision as there maybe other factors we are not aware of. Again my opinion. The user is welcome to ask but part of the opinions he is asking for is to make his own mind up. If he doesn't like advice like that then open forum isn't the place.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The problem with this type of question is there are absolutely no tangibles or history. What he gets is pure conjecture and is next to useless to the OP. He will be looking for an answer he wants to hear and will go with that which is worse than him making his own decision as there maybe other factors we are not aware of. Again my opinion. The user is welcome to ask but part of the opinions he is asking for is to make his own mind up. If he doesn't like advice like that then open forum isn't the place.
                  There was a good piece of advice - talk it out with your line manager. It maybe that things have changed or the original piece of work is yet to start. If things have changed, there maybe an oppertunnity for a mutal out. Then its win-win.

Just make sure you tell the ClientCo you're returning to how difficult it was etc etc making you look the hero ;~)
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                    If this really is a case of not just wanting to run off to familiar territory, i.e. role with previous client, and if the situation is as awkward as you say, then IMO - time to take this to your line manager.

It seems (from what you say) you are not doing the role you envisaged - as per role spec - and there's nothing worse than being sat there odd-jobbing. Some might say 'well just bill' but that doesn't hold much water, IMO, if the situation is crap. It becomes a daily grind.

It's happened to me once, and got to the stage where I was dreading going to work. The original work, which I was hired to do, didn't come on stream. Keeping it brief, I spoke to the line manager, she understood, and even apologised. We parted on good terms.

Grasp the nettle.

Thanks for your reply SteelyDan, this is the kind of answer I was looking for. BTW was not asking you guys to make the decision for me, but just wanted to see how fellow contractors think and if you have gone through this before, I think that's what this forum is about.

So the thing is, maybe my mistake too, but the interview was not very informative. Basically they told me what needed to be done, and I was up to the job. But then I found something a bit different. I am not there to make friends but its nice to be in a nice environment like I was before several times.

Yes I think the best thing to do is let another month pass and see what happens, if things move in the right direction or not. If not will have a chat with the line manager, however there is the possibility that the job with my prev employer is gone by that time. Am really not looking forward to turn up every morning there at the moment, but I guess its part of the job.

Comment

Working...
                    X