• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waiving Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiving Notice Period

I have been verbally given notice that my I am to be terminated, my contract states that they have to give me a months notice which they have, however it looks as if things are turning sour, as they have already given me my notice can I waive the notice they have to give me and walk immediately?
    Insert Witty Signature Here

Originally posted by zharrt View Post
    I have been verbally given notice that my I am to be terminated, my contract states that they have to give me a months notice which they have, however it looks as if things are turning sour, as they have already given me my notice can I waive the notice they have to give me and walk immediately?
    No idea. Why don't you ask them?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Negotiate with them, and see what you can agree.

If your contract gives you the right to give notice which is a shorter period than they have to give you (which I doubt!), then give notice and walk after that period instead.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Negotiate with them, and see what you can agree.

If your contract gives you the right to give notice which is a shorter period than they have to give you (which I doubt!), then give notice and walk after that period instead.
        Its a month both sides.

I don't want to sound them off, but I get the impression now I have been given notice I am going to be made a scapegoat for the project, no matter how much I earn my pride and integrity is worth more to me than to stick around while they pile more and more tulip on me
        Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Its a month both sides.

I don't want to sound them off, but I get the impression now I have been given notice I am going to be made a scapegoat for the project, no matter how much I earn my pride and integrity is worth more to me than to stick around while they pile more and more tulip on me
          Wouldn't your pride and integrity mean you would stay as you promised whatever happens. Not ducking and running?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Wouldn't your pride and integrity mean you would stay as you promised whatever happens. Not ducking and running?
            nooo you're referring to pride v2.0, I think he's still running on pride 1.4, far less reliable IMO.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Talk to them. They might be prepared to wiggle. They might not even want you hanging around for a month. It's not unheard of for contractors to get gardening leave!

Comment

Its a month both sides.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but with MOO cant they give notice, then tell you theres no work and not pay you anyway?

Personally, if it was me I'd stick around for the notice period if they're going to pay you. Just turn up normal hours, let them crack on giving you grief, then at the end invoice them and count your dosh. All the while, on Jobserve looking for another gig.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Now correct me if I'm wrong but with MOO cant they give notice, then tell you theres no work and not pay you anyway?
                  No - it's the absence of MOO which means this. But in a typical IR35-friendly contract and working relationship, then yes - they can just tell you not to come in and not pay you. Likewise, you can just decide not to turn up and not charge anything.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Personally, if it was me I'd stick around for the notice period if they're going to pay you. Just turn up normal hours, let them crack on giving you grief, then at the end invoice them and count your dosh. All the while, on Jobserve looking for another gig.
                  WHS. I like this.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    No - it's the absence of MOO which means this. But in a typical IR35-friendly contract and working relationship, then yes - they can just tell you not to come in and not pay you. Likewise, you can just decide not to turn up and not charge anything.

WHS. I like this.
                    Yes. thats what I meant absence of MOO. I was just trying to say that MOO was the relevant thing.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X